air sack on back of 1 week old chick's neck

bethany83

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
Mesa, AZ
1968344.JPG

Dh noticed it last night, its soft and squishy, there are no feathers on it. It seems to be filled with air. I've read a bunch of threads on things like this, but they all have varying answers. Is this always a symptom of it being hurt? My kids (10 and 8) were handling them a few days ago, but they are usually very soft with them. I also have a 2 yo but she hasn't been allowed to pick them up, though its possible she somehow snuck in there.

Has anyone dealt with this directly and what was your outcome? I don't want to puncture it b/c I'd rather not deal with infection. Will it really just "go away on its own"? Is there a risk of death?

She has been acting just fine, in fact she is the most vigorous eater.

Last edited:
Yes, that's a symptom of being injured. I deal with it in wild birds more often than poultry, but of course poultry are birds, too, and set up in a similar way. As long as the chick is not uncomfortable I'd just let it be and allow it go down on its own. If it hasn't gone away on its own in a week or two, or if it inflates to where it's affecting the chick's quality of life, you will need to suck the air out with a needle and syringe. You just have to be careful not to poke the chick herself with the needle. It's preferable to leave it alone and let it resolve on its own because of the risk of infection, but of course you don't want to affect the chick's quality of living either.

Good luck, feel free to send me a PM if you need help.
smile.png
I've dealt with a number of wild birds with this issue. In fact, I deflated one of these on a baby bird yesterday.

Yes, that's a symptom of being injured.

BAH! I'm so ticked!! I've been so careful with them. I hope she gets better.
hmm.png

Are you sure its not it's crop?

Well, its on the back, like where the shoulder would be located, above her wing. Isn't the crop in the front of the neck? Plus, this bubble is almost translucent. There is no food in there.​

Quote:
Well, its on the back, like where the shoulder would be located, above her wing. Isn't the crop in the front of the neck? Plus, this bubble is almost translucent. There is no food in there.

lol, did you have a different picture up before? This one shows the spot better, the other one made it look like it was on the front.

lol, did you have a different picture up before? This one shows the spot better, the other one made it look like it was on the front.

Yes, I did, lol. I realized it wasn't very clear once it was in the post, so I took another and uploaded that one instead! Sorry to be confusing!!
wink.png

I had this happen to me my little boy squished it and the crop was displaced. looked the same although, Vet said it can displaced to any where they have such small bodies.it was a 1 day old bantam and it also could hardly move we had to put it down. your chicken might get better watch it closely my chickens filled with food and other stuff. Hope it works out.
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom