ALABAMA!!

Oh, What is a DAR school. I've heard of Grant, but not grant mountain. Sorry everyone for being off topic. To make up for it, I'll try to attach a chicken pic of my girlsCurly Sue

my broody with her adopted chicks

thanks all! I do hope to find something outside city limits. I want roosters, and I know lots of places dont allow them. I already figured out that I have to learn to say roll tide roll in addition to y'all. LOL. Wow, I sure do hope bama is as friendly as everyone claims! I'm still not sure how to find out about the schools.
barnie.gif

I'm not out there where I can talk to people. I was hoping some people here might have some advice.
Now, as soon as I get there...I"ll be looking to buy some chickens. I'd rather not buy from hatcheries.

http://www.greatschools.org/schools/cities/Alabama/AL

Went to the in-law's for the weekend in Nashville and can't believe how much I missed my 3 little babies. Their little cheeps are so sweet to hear. Still no new babies from the eggs that should have hatched last week, so I guess I'll throw those out tomorrow and hope some of the last 10 hatch out this week like they are supposed to. If not I'll be visiting some local TSC co-op's and flea markets this weekend looking for a few more babies. I'd like to try to keep most of them close together in age.

Hi Alabama peeps! I've been having fun reading all the old posts. I'm up around the 200th post. I live in CA, but hubby is looking at transfering to AL. I want to live where I can have LOTS of chickens and some goats. We visited Huntsville last year, and drove by some properties, but dh ended up turning down that job offer. He is now looking at some other positions. We would be looking to live in Toney, Hartselle, Hazel Green, New Hope, Harvest, or someplace else within 30 minutes or so from Huntsville. If anybody has anything to say about living in these places, I'd be happy to hear it. Also if you have anything good or bad to say about the middle schools and high schools, I'm all ears. Feel free to pm me. Looking at all your pics, it will be hard to pick breeds to keep. Right now I have 2 houdans, 2 EE, 1 Olive egger, one black cochin bantam frizzle, and one bantam silver spangled hamburg. I'll have to sell them all if we move. Hubby says he hopes to be moved by summer. We will see. I'm so looking forward to being a country girl! I want 5 acres or more. Right now my chickens are all in a little backyard.
Hi to everyone!

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome! To BYC, the Alabama!! thread, and to Alabama, Roll Tide Roll! I live about 3 1/2 hours South of Huntsville, but I would keep your chickens for you until you get settled. You could ship them or bring them yourself if you drive, I just hate to see you sell them all just to move. There are lots of BYCers in that area, too. Maybe someone closer would volunteer, as well. The other thing I know is that if you live within 35 minutes of Huntsville, the land is all going to be expensive. All towns that close are bedroom communities for Huntsville.
Hi everyone
yippiechickie.gif

I am in Perry County, Alabama that is in south west Alabama. I am also tired of buying eggs from the store. lol
I just got our first chicks this weekend and we are going to be raising black australarp's. I liked what I read about the breed and wanted to try them. Also we found them local to buy.

Hello and Welcome! I have always been interested in the Australorps, but I haven't had any of my own....................yet! Tell us about your coop and other animals. Oh, and do you wear Orange or Crimson?

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome! To BYC, the Alabama!! thread, and to Alabama, Roll Tide Roll! I live about 3 1/2 hours South of Huntsville, but I would keep your chickens for you until you get settled. You could ship them or bring them yourself if you drive, I just hate to see you sell them all just to move. There are lots of BYCers in that area, too. Maybe someone closer would volunteer, as well. The other thing I know is that if you live within 35 minutes of Huntsville, the land is all going to be expensive. All towns that close are bedroom communities for Huntsville.

Hello and Welcome! I have always been interested in the Australorps, but I haven't had any of my own....................yet! Tell us about your coop and other animals. Oh, and do you wear Orange or Crimson?
Wow, Wisher! I never thought of that! What a generous offer! I'll have to look into the costs involved in shipping across the country. Yep, I've been looking at those houses for a year now, and they are not cheap, but are still much cheaper than anything comparable anywhere in my area of California. And thank you for the warm welcome.
hugs.gif

Hi Illory.
I'm new to AL myself. We moved up here in June. We live south of Huntsville, about 30 minutes from downtown. I'm in Somerville, Morgan County. I love it here. Hubby is wishing we lived north of town. There is just not alot in south Huntsville. We are about 20 miles from everything. Grocery store, restaurants, even fast food. I love it because we are in the mountains. North of town is so flat. LOL But there are more newer businesses up there. I go into town once every week or 2 for groceries and errands. Thats it. We don't have many neighbors. Alot of the houses that are here are vacant or used on the weekends.

The waving did take some getting used to but I only see it when we are up on the mountain. And then it is only people, usually men, in trucks that wave. Never anyone in cars. I get more waves when I'm driving my '93 Bronco than my hubby's new 4runner. The waving and the speed limits. Our road is 1/2 mile until we get to a more major road. The speed limit is 45 minimum even on small 2 lane roads.

Things vary based on football, not NFL but college. I remember asking at my local feed store when they closed on Saturday a few months ago. Their answer "It depends on what time the Alabama game is". LOL Though when I explained that I may have some ducklings hatching and would need to pick up some feed, the owner said that I could call them at home and he'd come open up for me. I let him know there was no way I would disturb his game day.

Wow, Wisher! I never thought of that! What a generous offer! I'll have to look into the costs involved in shipping across the country. Yep, I've been looking at those houses for a year now, and they are not cheap, but are still much cheaper than anything comparable anywhere in my area of California. And thank you for the warm welcome.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
I'm about an hour away from Hunstville and would be happy to help in any way I can. Not sure exactly where your hubby will be working, but we were in the same boat when we moved to Alabama (didn't want to drive more than an hour to work in Birmingham). I watched Zillow for a few months and actually got our house on foreclosure for $88k and it's tax appraised for $170k. I'd look there and look toward the Decatur area too, it's not far from Huntsville. And Priceville is a nice quiet country area fairly close to Huntsville. Again it all depends on where he will be working location wise. Feel free to PM me and I'll do what I can to help from this side.

Back
Top Bottom