ALABAMA!!

So just wanted to share some pictures with ya'll! We built a coolerbator using the specs from the thread on here and right now we have 11 duck eggs that we are trying to hatch out. Fingers crossed!

And yes, just in case anyone is wondering, that is an original Super Nintendo by the bookcase. We are keeping the old school flame burning at my house.

And these are my Mille Fleur D'uccle's! I posted a picture of them when they were just checks a month or so back. This is them now!

This is Big Mama (named because "she" was really motherly to the younger chicks. "She" was 2 weeks older than everyone else.) Looks like we may have to start calling her Big Papa. Thoughts?

This is Big Foot. Looking like a girl to me.

I have six, but some weren't being very photogenic today. I love them though! So very personable and friendly. A little skittish at times, but they are still getting used to being out of the brooder.

Here are pics of the big brooder. Things I would change: Two deep, at 24" it is a reach. Up too high, I need a step ladder, cement blocks would be better. I love that both ends are hinged, so I can go in on either end. The teepee looking thing on top just supports the lamps and wiring. They are doing really well and growing great.
Big, looks like a coffin:) also, needs a piece of wood on the doors so they don't warp like you see they are doing
Both ends are hinged and open

Three lamps, 1 250 and 2 125 and plenty of room to get warm or get away

Thank you so much for taking and sharing the pics with me! I love the design you have especially the double doors on top. I will have to get my husband to build me one soon so I can get the rest of the chicks I want.
They have plenty of room to grow and move around! I love it! My little temp. cage won't be big enough for long... lol

Need some input. As we are very "green" to raising chickens. We currently have 4 4week old chicks. We've had them since a day old and love them dearly.
My question is... Would adding 2 more chicks to our "flock" be any more work than 4? I don't feel it would but then again I'm new and sometimes feel I can do anything ;) also would I want a seperate brooder for them since there is an age gap?
Thanks for any advice.
The reason why we want more is I'm worried we have a roo and I did have my heart set on 4 hens. So I figured if we get 2 more we'll be covered :) (so long as they aren't Roos too)

Need some input. As we are very "green" to raising chickens. We currently have 4 4week old chicks. We've had them since a day old and love them dearly.
My question is... Would adding 2 more chicks to our "flock" be any more work than 4? I don't feel it would but then again I'm new and sometimes feel I can do anything
wink.png
also would I want a seperate brooder for them since there is an age gap?
Thanks for any advice.
The reason why we want more is I'm worried we have a roo and I did have my heart set on 4 hens. So I figured if we get 2 more we'll be covered
smile.png
(so long as they aren't Roos too)
Ahhh, chicken math strikes again!
gig.gif
The answer is yes, and no. Six chickens is not harder than four to care for, but the younger ones will get picked on and will likely have to be separated until they are big enough to run away from the older ones and are in a large enough run to stay to themselves if the others don't play nice. I used some hardware cloth to put a divider in my brooder when I have chicks of different ages. They get used to the others without being able to hurt them.

Me and my big mouth and that whole "I'm worried about Salmonella". I've been so diligent about the kids not touching them, not touching anything that touched the chicks.. and now -I- have Salmonella poisoning.

roll.png

Yeah, I'm about to die. You do not want to know...

I'm worried to report it, I'm afraid someone might take my chickies. I probably should contact TSC and find out who the hatchery is? Ofcourse, they'll likely deny any involvement.. It's my own stupid fault, I'm sure I forgot to wash my hands or something (Play with chicks, wash hands. Get waterer, clean waterer, fill waterer, wash hands. Carry waterer to chickies, put in, close brooder, wash hands. Pick some bedding flakes off my pants... durrrrr)

I feel about as rough as when I had my baby.. which I did without an epidural. Let this be a lesson kids. Salmonella sucks.

Me and my big mouth and that whole "I'm worried about Salmonella". I've been so diligent about the kids not touching them, not touching anything that touched the chicks.. and now -I- have Salmonella poisoning.

roll.png

Yeah, I'm about to die. You do not want to know...

I'm worried to report it, I'm afraid someone might take my chickies. I probably should contact TSC and find out who the hatchery is? Ofcourse, they'll likely deny any involvement.. It's my own stupid fault, I'm sure I forgot to wash my hands or something (Play with chicks, wash hands. Get waterer, clean waterer, fill waterer, wash hands. Carry waterer to chickies, put in, close brooder, wash hands. Pick some bedding flakes off my pants... durrrrr)

I feel about as rough as when I had my baby.. which I did without an epidural. Let this be a lesson kids. Salmonella sucks.
(1) How do you know you have Salmonella poisoning ?
(2) How do you know you got it from the chicks ?

I have had chickens most of my life and I have never had Salmonella poisoning. Do all your chores and then wash your hands one (1) time.

Back
Top Bottom