1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ALABAMA!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Michael_K, Jan 14, 2008.

1. DixieChicken78

DixieChicken78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2013
    Wicksburg, AL
    I think my chicks are about 2 1/2 weeks old. This morning I noticed it looks like one of my chicks has some feathers/ down missing around the back of her neck. I have a light in their brooder. What could be going on? Maybe they are wanting a bigger space?

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

If you think that chick is getting pecked there, more room is a good idea, the faster the better. Once they start picking on one, or one starts picking on others, it is hard to break them from it. Add a dirt clod with some nice spring weeds (clover?) for them to pick at, distraction is the best medicine. If the bare patch on the chicks neck is red, cut a small piece of duct tape (1/2 inch square) and stick it to the down on either side of the patch. It will fall off eventually and protect the spot from further pecking until it can cover over with feathers.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tomtommom

Tomtommom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    Montevallo, AL
    URGENT: Does anyone know what kind of snakes in our area leave a bite with two large lacerations on top and two smaller ones on bottom? I think one of my dogs got bit by one. He's already licked the whole area bald, so it's been a day atleast. I'm washing both dogs and checking for further wounds and taking care of them, but that snake may very well still be in my backyard!

I don't think it was poisonous, but both of my dogs are limping, but that may be due to the rain/cold (they're dummies, they'll sit in the rain until they're drenched).

Snake may have been attracted to the chickens...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Try not to panick, dogs have a natural immunity to snake venom. The only problems occur when the site gets infected and abcesses, or if the venom hits a vein, or if the initial swelling interferes with breathing. Are you sure it was a snake? I would be more concerned with rabies from a mammal.......

5. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Like Wisher said, it sounds more like a mammal than a snake. As far as I know we don't have any snakes in this state that have a bottom set of fangs that would make a mark like you described.

6. Tomtommom

Jan 14, 2013
    Montevallo, AL
    Disregard, I think my dogs did it to eachother. The bites didn't look like usual dog bites, so it threw me off, after shaving it seems more clear with the bruising. I've rehomed several of my dogs so far, these are the last two.. they're fighting less than when I had 4, but still less than ideal.

[​IMG]

7. BSisco

BSisco Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Cullman, AL
    Dumb question of the day.... When can I start giving my babies regular chicken feed???? They are 4 and 5 weeks old and are pretty feathered out, they just are going through the chick starter pretty quickly....

And second dumb question.... When will I be able to tell if try are hens or roos???? They are all supposed to be amercauna and all have singe small combs, and none of them are crowing yet. The hubby and I were trying to figure out who was who earlier (thinking we may have to rename my baby...lol)

8. huntinwidow

huntinwidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Warrior Alabama
    My Coop
    Don't give layer until they are laying age.
    Ameraucana are very hard to sex, but they should have peacombs, not single. Are they perhaps easter eggers?

9. Tomtommom

Jan 14, 2013
    Montevallo, AL
    I started mine on Purina Sunfresh flockraiser right away. Didn't see no sense in buying starter for a week and then buy grower. Most brands have a little chart on the bag on what they can eat when. After 18-20 weeks you can start the layer feed, or later if you have late blooming breeds.

I could tell one of my roos apart by 2 weeks due to his massive comb and legs, and some you'll have to wait weeks, if not months. It's kind of fun, the gender guessing game. At a young age you'd look for larger comb, thicker legs, slower feathering in some breeds.

Depending on where you got them, they're likely just Easter eggers, so they can have all sorts of breed specific traits from other birds.

10. Hilda the Hen

Hilda the Hen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2013
    Birmingham Alabama
    Do any of you use or have tried sand in the coop or run? Going through options and trying to figure out easiest cheapest and cleanest for our chickens!! Coop is getting started next weekend, hubby is finally back ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by