ALABAMA!!

I'm trying to visualize your coop. Is the area under the coop part of the run? That's how my setup works. I put them under the coop and seperate it off with the chicken wire.

Thanks Wisher1000...my coop is raised 24" off the ground so I would definitely have to build her something separate at ground level. Could I allow her to sit on the eggs in the main coop until I get something constructed and then move her and the eggs or would that cause her to abandon the nest or hurt the eggs?
I have moved broodys that stuck like glue to the eggs, no matter where I put her. Others got up and tried their best to go back to where they started, eggs or no. If you want to try, see if you can get her to sit on the eggs in a cardboard box in the coop, then move the whole box and cross your fingers. Once she realizes she can't get back to the original site, she may give in and accept the move. On the other hand, she may break up and quit sitting.

Quote:
Thanks Wisher1000...my coop is raised 24" off the ground so I would definitely have to build her something separate at ground level. Could I allow her to sit on the eggs in the main coop until I get something constructed and then move her and the eggs or would that cause her to abandon the nest or hurt the eggs?
I have moved broodys that stuck like glue to the eggs, no matter where I put her. Others got up and tried their best to go back to where they started, eggs or no. If you want to try, see if you can get her to sit on the eggs in a cardboard box in the coop, then move the whole box and cross your fingers. Once she realizes she can't get back to the original site, she may give in and accept the move. On the other hand, she may break up and quit sitting.

I may have to wait until warmer weather then since we are forecast to get some more sub-freezing temps in the next few days and likely will a couple more times before winter finally gives up and goes away. Right now, I just try to shoo her out of the nest box most nights to get her to go and sleep on a roost. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I do remove any eggs she's sitting on each day.

I use a cage I built that is 2' deep, 2' tall, and 4' long. I put a nest box in one end and the food and water in the other. I cut open a feed sack and put it on top so poo doesn't drop in from above. It looks like you have enough room inside your coop to do that. I made it out of 2x2s and 1/2" hardware cloth. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Here it is with junk stored in it. I don't know if you can tell much about it but it is real simple. The top and bottom are held in place by cable ties so I can reconfigure it as needed. I can transport in it in the back of the truck, I can remove the bottom and let it sit directly on the ground or in the shavings. It is very versitile. I have used it for broodys, brooder, hospital ward, and quarantine quarters.

Last edited:
Quote:

I may have to wait until warmer weather then since we are forecast to get some more sub-freezing temps in the next few days and likely will a couple more times before winter finally gives up and goes away. Right now, I just try to shoo her out of the nest box most nights to get her to go and sleep on a roost. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I do remove any eggs she's sitting on each day.
If you're not ready, give her a handful of golfballs or egglike rocks and take the eggs. She will sit on anything that looks and feels like an egg to her and once you are ready, give her the eggs you want her to hatch all at the same time. I had a hen set on a wooden egg and three golfballs for nearly three months before I gave in and bought her some chicks at the feed store.

You should see my super deluxe brooder, it's so much fancier than the giant cardboard box from last year
wink.png

Really it is. Biiiig tote, we cut the side out, ziptied hardware cloth to it. The babies can see me, the kids can see the babies (my step-son seems to enjoy them pecking at his fingers), they're getting some daylight and fresh air. It's funny, they starts squealing when I leave the room (they're right next to my computer desk)... didn't expect them to attach so quickly!

You should see my super deluxe brooder, it's so much fancier than the giant cardboard box from last year ;)

Really it is. Biiiig tote, we cut the side out, ziptied hardware cloth to it. The babies can see me, the kids can see the babies (my step-son seems to enjoy them pecking at his fingers), they're getting some daylight and fresh air. It's funny, they starts squealing when I leave the room (they're right next to my computer desk)... didn't expect them to attach so quickly!
How big of a tote did you get? How many chicks can you keep in it and for how long? I'm about to make my own brooder this weekend and I can find plans but haven't found a lot about numbers and ages. Plus I love asking people who know what they're doing! thanks!

How big of a tote did you get? How many chicks can you keep in it and for how long? I'm about to make my own brooder this weekend and I can find plans but haven't found a lot about numbers and ages. Plus I love asking people who know what they're doing! thanks!

Last year's brooder:

The 2x4s kept the cats from sagging through the top
roll.png

This year's brooder:

I think it's a 55 gallon or somewhere about there. Got it at Wal_mart for $17. My cardboard box brooder held 10 chicks until they were 5-6 weeks old. I expect similar results with this brooder.

The only thing I miss is that I could use the heat from the heat lamp and that grate over the top of the box to sprout seeds for the garden
lau.gif
Don't miss the power bill though, it's good to go to 22 watts instead of 250 watts.

Back
Top Bottom