ALABAMA!!

Here is a some pictures of my silkie chicks. They are like Monkey-chicks climbing all over their mom.
roll.png

They are so cute! Love the color!
jumpy.gif

Now I've done it...
lau.gif

Step-son is kind of upset.. he says we killed his friend. He walked in on me cleaning the carcass (feathers were gone, I was mid chopping his legs off..) He actually stood there watching me clean the whole thing. It wasn't until the next day that he told us that Roo was his friend.

I told him we can get a few more chickens now... And I told him there's chickens that lay blue eggs.

He wants magic chickens now....

Sooo. Anyone want to sell me 2-3 magic hens?
lol.png
(I'm actually looking on Craigslist, but I would love to not travel halfway across the state.. so if you HAPPEN to be close by...)

Blue/green eggs are the only magical ones, apparently... I was hoping for an olive egger or something. Easter eggers are fine, doesn't have to be SQ aracaunas or anything.

Now I've done it...
lau.gif

Step-son is kind of upset.. he says we killed his friend. He walked in on me cleaning the carcass (feathers were gone, I was mid chopping his legs off..) He actually stood there watching me clean the whole thing. It wasn't until the next day that he told us that Roo was his friend.

I told him we can get a few more chickens now... And I told him there's chickens that lay blue eggs.

He wants magic chickens now....

Sooo. Anyone want to sell me 2-3 magic hens?
lol.png
(I'm actually looking on Craigslist, but I would love to not travel halfway across the state.. so if you HAPPEN to be close by...)

Blue/green eggs are the only magical ones, apparently... I was hoping for an olive egger or something. Easter eggers are fine, doesn't have to be SQ aracaunas or anything.

I'm sorry you killed your step-son's friend(sounds really of bad if you didn't know the details
lau.gif
).
Good luck looking for "MAGIC CHICKENS"
yippiechickie.gif
gig.gif

Raz, congrats on your baby boy, he is too cute!!!!! Tomtom, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope y'all are doing ok and that things are calming down some.

On a sadder note, neighbors dog got another one of my babies today. I hate to stir up things, but if they don't keep him on their property he may disappear too.... My babies don't go out of my yard at all and hubby makes excuses that this is old family property and he is used to running all over it, but at this point I don't care. Be a responsible pet owner and keep your dog on your property!!!! I keep my animals on mine....

That sucks. Sorry to hear :-(

My dog used to get out all the time.. we put up chainlink, then electric fencing.. even plywood to keep him from jumping the fence.. then he started digging under... eventually we just rehomed him. You HAVE to take care of any issues as a pet owner. Hence, Mr.Roo's demise.

If you have a good relationship with the neighbors, now, just go talk to them. See if you can work something out together where you can both be happy. There are still some reasonable people in the world (who are usually overshadowed by the unreasonable ones) and they should understand that you have as much right to happy chickens as they do to a happy dog. Maybe they would agree to keeping the dog inside, penned, chained, etc. for part of the day, say, 5:00pm to 9:00pm to give you a chance to safely free range your birds. If that is not convenient, maybe in the mornings? Or maybe they can keep the dog up days and let it run at night. Your responsibility would be to build a dog proof coop and run for the times that dog is loose. I realize that this is not what the law says and that it is extra work on your part, but if it maintains a good relationship between you and your neighbor, it would be worth it. Besides, if they can't or won't work with you, you can always SSS. I just think that if it were my dog and a neighbors chickens, I would want the chance to fix the problem before they fixed it permanantly. I told a neighbor that they had to keep their dog home or I would have to shoot it (I used a much gentler approach, but that was the bottom line) but their dog was mean and also growled at my boys. They later got a sweet Pit Bull and it too came to play with the chickens. I took it home on a leash once, and they understood that I wouldn't put up with the dog killing chickens but that I wasn't mad. I value my good neighbors, and don't consider that issue one that makes them bad ones. I also understood that the dog still may accidently get loose and come back and kill some of my birds. I STILL wouldn't want bad blood between us and wouldn't pitch a fit or demand repayment. I quietly decided that next time I put a leash on it, I wouldn't be taking it home.

I haven't seen it since. We are still good neighbors.

If you have a good relationship with the neighbors, now, just go talk to them.  See if you can work something out together where you can both be happy.  There are still some reasonable people in the world (who are usually overshadowed by the unreasonable ones) and they should understand that you have as much right to happy chickens as they do to a happy dog.  Maybe they would agree to keeping the dog inside, penned, chained, etc. for part of the day, say, 5:00pm to 9:00pm to give you a chance to safely free range your birds.  If that is not convenient, maybe in the mornings?  Or maybe they can keep the dog up days and let it run at night.  Your responsibility would be to build a dog proof coop and run for the times that dog is loose.  I realize that this is not what the law says and that it is extra work on your part, but if it maintains a good relationship between you and your neighbor, it would be worth it.  Besides, if they can't or won't work with you, you can always SSS.  I just think that if it were my dog and a neighbors chickens, I would want the chance to fix the problem before they fixed it permanantly.  I told a neighbor that they had to keep their dog home or I would have to shoot it (I used a much gentler approach, but that was the bottom line) but their dog was mean and also growled at my boys.  They later got a sweet Pit Bull and it too came to play with the chickens.  I took it home on a leash once, and they understood that I wouldn't put up with the dog killing chickens but that I wasn't mad.  I value my good neighbors, and don't consider that issue one that makes them bad ones.  I also understood that the dog still may accidently get loose and come back and kill some of my birds.  I STILL wouldn't want bad blood between us and wouldn't pitch a fit or demand repayment.  I quietly decided that next time I put a leash on it, I wouldn't be taking it home. 

I haven't seen it since.  We are still good neighbors.
We do have a good relationship, and she is just as upset as we are about the loss of your babies. She has offered to replace our chickens, and we have refused knowing that the dog in general is just a big baby. Our coop is dog proof, but we intended it for when we were not home (I know not necessarily the right thought) and she had told my son last time that she was going to be chaining him up. The problem is that he keeps breaking free. I would be perfectly happy with him running free at night, my babies go to bed on their own around 7:30 so night would be perfect. I just hate the thought of having to keep them locked up all the time when they are on their own property. And the fact that our coop is a tractor style coop so the run is obviously a lot smaller than I would have built had it been a permanent stationary coop and run. Also, now I'm definitely going to have to get rid of a few of them because now I have 3 roos and 2 hens in my Amercaunias. I have 1 roo and 2 hens in my doms, and one I don't have a clue. Since my big babies (the amercaunias) don't like the little babies (the doms), they are only a month apart in age and not much in size, it looks like I'll be building another coop (much to my husband's dismay.

Back
Top Bottom