ALABAMA!!

One of our 16 week old clean faced EE hatched her 1st egg today. This was from the 2013 Easter hatch. The egg is green, excited since we only have 1 hen laying green, the rest are aqua blue/green.
Her name is Sugar, her favorite place to perch...me.

Chirp
How sweet! Congrats! She is very pretty!
big_smile.png

Chirp, congratulations! She's a beautiful girl and equally beautiful egg!

I candled a couple of my EE eggs last night. They seem porous. I'm worried that the rest may be also and wont hatch. I'm waiting until Wednesday, day 7, to check them all and see if I can tell anything other than where the yolk and air sac is.

While I'm at it, do you know how long a hen can be fertile after removing her from her rooster?

One of our 16 week old clean faced EE hatched her 1st egg today. This was from the 2013 Easter hatch. The egg is green, excited since we only have 1 hen laying green, the rest are aqua blue/green.
Her name is Sugar, her favorite place to perch...me.

Chirp
Very pretty! I hope one of my EEs lays a green egg, it's my favorite color. I'm expecting to start seeing eggs in September, can't wait!!

I just got my first EGGS!!!!! So eggciting! I think they are from my one and only brown leghorn. She is my only white egg layer, but one of my EE's was sitting on them!
wee.gif

I candled a couple of my EE eggs last night. They seem porous. I'm worried that the rest may be also and wont hatch. I'm waiting until Wednesday, day 7, to check them all and see if I can tell anything other than where the yolk and air sac is.

While I'm at it, do you know how long a hen can be fertile after removing her from her rooster?
If I remember correctly, up to 2 weeks.

Thank you AParmer;) Fertile, I usually go with 3 weeks to be sure, especially if she 's a good layer, kinda like the principal of worming, that is if your goal is to re-mate her with a different Roo. IMHO :)
Regarding porosity, we have a hen whose eggs are a little porous, not a problem at all to hatch her chicks. And, EE's eggs are usually very easy to hatch.

Last edited:
I just got my first EGGS!!!!! So eggciting! I think they are from my one and only brown leghorn. She is my only white egg layer, but one of my EE's was sitting on them!
wee.gif
Yoohoo, at a girl...so happy for you, such a thrill to see those eggs! :celebrate It all still amazes me...the thrill of seeing that first hatchling (which you will do soon) and those hens laying their first egg. Sugar thought I should hold her and the egg and walk around to show the other chicks!:lau

Yoohoo, at a girl...so happy for you, such a thrill to see those eggs!
celebrate.gif

It all still amazes me...the thrill of seeing that first hatchling (which you will do soon) and those hens laying their first egg. Sugar thought I should hold her and the egg and walk around to show the other chicks!
lau.gif
Thanks Chirp! Yes I do understand! I just may have to through a few in the bator with my EE eggs Wed! I cannot even imagine what it is going to feel like when I see my first chick hatch! Hopefully the others will start soon also!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom