ALABAMA!!

Quote:
Yeah, I just talked to dad yesterday afternoon and called back after mom got home. They're going to start their first quail hatch (without me coming to check on them since I can't) soon and, of course, they're going to call me if they need any help trouble shooting or anything. Mom already does it when she has problems with her computer.
lol.png
Both of them have surgeries coming up, so I may need to find a way to get home to help them.

SJ is getting so big and he has so much personality. He learns a little more every day and always has something new that he does.

Dumb question. Can chickens catch child or have allergies? I have a girl who went broody after get fellow was killed (she was pretty sad right before she went broody) and was doing all the normal broody behavior until today. All of a sudden she almost acts like she has a cold or allergies, sneezing/coughing and making whining noises, and now she won't sit on the eggs she stole from my other girls (hers are in the incubator hoping to get some babies from her fellow). We are pretty worried, she won't eat and is pretty mopy today.

Dumb question. Can chickens catch child or have allergies? I have a girl who went broody after get fellow was killed (she was pretty sad right before she went broody) and was doing all the normal broody behavior until today. All of a sudden she almost acts like she has a cold or allergies, sneezing/coughing and making whining noises, and now she won't sit on the eggs she stole from my other girls (hers are in the incubator hoping to get some babies from her fellow). We are pretty worried, she won't eat and is pretty mopy today.

Of course they can. The most dangerous of them all is the notorious Bird Flu that can be passed to humans. But do no fear, most them then can't be past to people. Just other birds.

Last edited:
I'm traveling all the way from Fort Bennig Ga area up to Birmingham then to Helfin and back home Sunday to pick up chickens and I got a Buckeye cockerel and maybe a pair!!! This chicken mama couldn't be happier right now!!

I know exactly how you feel!  I'm driving ten hours to Columbus for the Ohio Nationals and to pick up five heritage Campines!  I CAN'T WAIT!!!!  :ya

Yea this is going to be a long trip for 5/6 birds but sometimes things don't have to make sense, it's when your happy thats when it's the right thing to do. Have fun at the OH nationals.

Quote:
I agree, those (yours and mine!) will be some expensive birds, when all is said and done. Here is the background...

I got my first chickens when I was a kid, I have always loved keeping chickens. Some forty years later (about a year and a half ago,) I decided that I wanted to try my hand at breeding to the standard with a goal of someday showing my own lines. I researched lots of breeds and decided on Silver Campines. Through my research, I found that there are very few breeders of quality (much less SHOW quality) Silver Campines in the US. Rather than discouraging me, it only strengthened my resolve and I was even willing to start with hatchery birds and breed up from there. Finally, I was able to locate four breeders that have them as a side-line breed. Two in California, one in Texas, and one in Minnesota. The breeder in MN (Duane Urch, APA/ABA judge, master breeder) has been working on his line the longest and is known as the go-to breeder of most heritage breeds. I started communicating with him and wanted to pick up the breeders myself, but the 18 hour drive and hotel stay had me nervous. It was suggested to me that he would be traveling to the Ohio Nationals and might be willing to transport birds there for me. It is a 10 hour drive and I will be able to attend one of the largest poultry shows in the country. Starting with birds of better quality will take 3 - 5 years off of a program starting from scratch. The show, and the birds, made the trip worthwhile. Now..........to build a breeder coop..............

Last edited:
I agree, those (yours and mine!) will be some expensive birds, when all is said and done. Here is the background...

I got my first chickens when I was a kid, I have always loved keeping chickens. Some forty years later (about a year and a half ago,) I decided that I wanted to try my hand at breeding to the standard with a goal of someday showing my own lines. I researched lots of breeds and decided on Silver Campines. Through my research, I found that there are very few breeders of quality (much less SHOW quality) Silver Campines in the US. Rather than discouraging me, it only strengthened my resolve and I was even willing to start with hatchery birds and breed up from there. Finally, I was able to locate four breeders that have them as a side-line breed. Two in California, one in Texas, and one in Minnesota. The breeder in MN (Duane Urch, APA/ABA judge, master breeder) has been working on his line the longest and is known as the go-to breeder of most heritage breeds. I started communicating with him and wanted to pick up the breeders myself, but the 18 hour drive and hotel stay had me nervous. It was suggested to me that he would be traveling to the Ohio Nationals and might be willing to transport birds there for me. It is a 10 hour drive and I will be able to attend one of the largest poultry shows in the country. Starting with birds of better quality will take 3 - 5 years off of a program starting from scratch. The show, and the birds, made the trip worthwhile. Now..........to build a breeder coop..............

OH..MY..GOODNESS! That is super exciting! Wisher I am so happy for you!

Ginormous show AND some fantastic breeding stock to start with
love.gif

I have a weak spot for Dutch/Belgian/German breeds (really, they're all interlaced). Heck, Dutch anything gets my heart beating a little faster ;-D

Fun fact, the Kempen/Campine is a nature area in the Netherlands, I spend many summers vacationing there. This spreads over Belgium and the Netherlands. They employ large heirloom cows and sheep to eat the grass so the original marsh plants stand a chance and do not get crowded out. The area is accessable by foot or bike, so you get to BIKE between the cows (and sometimes you have to wait for them to move haha).This area was dotted with farms, these days it's more profitable for those farms to become bed & breakfast places (some retaining a little of the farm life, because that's so 'quaint' for the tourists).

It's funny, because the campground in the Campine we stayed most at was where I had my first run-in with chickens. There were free-range bantams on the grounds, they just did their thing. We were always excited to find an egg, since whoever found it got to keep it.

The dog breed Belgian Malinoise (Mechelse Herder in Dutch) is from the same area.

When you've got things underway, I may have to get me some of your offspring
big_smile.png
(I can hold out!)

You can be my first customer! I'm excited to hear that someone around here appreciates them already. There is a guy, Drieslag, on the Campine thread that has recently brought the first Campines back into the Campine Region in over 60 years.

Back
Top Bottom