ALABAMA!!

I about cried when I went into TSC today. I was so excited to get some chicks and start this...then NOT A SINGLE CHICK! My heart sank. They are snowed in up north and who knows when they are coming down! But on the bright side, TSC said they are extending the days for as many as are missed :)

Side note: TSC said they are getting in silkies, and I am wondering if there is a way to tell the sex of them before they reach maturity? Anyone know if this is possible?

I may not be coming home when I had hoped to.
sad.png
I'm really disappointed right now. I want to be back in Bama so bad it almost hurts.

I about cried when I went into TSC today. I was so excited to get some chicks and start this...then NOT A SINGLE CHICK! My heart sank. They are snowed in up north and who knows when they are coming down! But on the bright side, TSC said they are extending the days for as many as are missed :)

Side note: TSC said they are getting in silkies, and I am wondering if there is a way to tell the sex of them before they reach maturity? Anyone know if this is possible?

Sometimes you can't tell the sex of Silkies AFTER they mature!
gig.gif

If they get silkies in, they are normally mixed in with other bantams. Look for grey skin, feathered legs and 5 foots.

And the only way to sex a silkie, is when it either crows or lays an egg.
lau.gif

I may not be coming home when I had hoped to.
sad.png
I'm really disappointed right now. I want to be back in Bama so bad it almost hurts.

I'm sure you will be back sooner or later.

woo...silkies.....Worth a drive to Montavello when they come in... but with my luck they will all be gone by the time I get there.
Sorry, no way of telling until they a lot older.

If they get silkies in, they are normally mixed in with other bantams. Look for grey skin, feathered legs and 5 foots.

And the only way to sex a silkie, is when it either crows or lays an egg.
lau.gif

I didn't think of that but you are probably right. I think I will stick with my original plan and hit up on a breeder from this group when I'm ready. Will get better quality silkie as well.

I didn't think of that but you are probably right. I think I will stick with my original plan and hit up on a breeder from this group when I'm ready. Will get better quality silkie as well.

If I knew of a local breeder or a breeder of silkies I would wait for pullets, because I really am not ready for any roos yet.
It looks like I should wait for the silkies until I am more sure of myself, since you can't really tell until they are older. I even tried looking up some information on here for them, and from what I am seeing you can't REALLY tell for sure until about 14 weeks. You can get an indication as early as 10 though, if you know what to look for.

Back
Top Bottom