ALABAMA!!

An awesome transition with Wisher yesterday. She is as or more knowledgeable yet down to earth in person as she is here.
I only had to drive 400 miles and these 10 chicks only cost me"@)$&@"" !!! A chick is worth it's price once you see mom and dad. Wow. Thank you Wisher
1f60a.png

Last edited:
By the way, the baby's aren't too hot or cold. They just aren't used to me yet. Before I opened the door for a pic they were scattered nicely.

An awesome transition with Wisher yesterday. She is as or more knowledgeable yet down to earth in person as she is here.
I only had to drive 400 miles and these 10 chicks only cost me"@)$&@"" !!! A chick is worth it's price once you see mom and dad. Wow. Thank you Wisher
1f60a.png
Congrats on your additions!!!

1f60a.png

Thank you for the kind words, Dan. I really enjoyed our short visit and meeting your wife, son, and pup. I hope your trip home was uneventful. As for the cost of those birds, if you factor in the trip, I paid nearly $400 a piece for my Campines!
gig.gif
Make sure and keep me updated on their progress, and how the hatch goes - including pics.
hugs.gif

Please excuse the mess this was after we finished for the day and had already put things up. On the left is the door my dad built, on the right is 6 nest boxes that do not have dividers yet between them and they will have doors for outside access.

Here's the inside view of the coop. On the bottom left will be the door to outside for the chickens.. I'm thinking 10x12" for door size and about 4-6" from the floor.. I don't have a plan to go off of just trying to look around! The inside of coop is 12' x 4' but as you can see the nest boxes are on the outside of it giving them more room and making it easier for me to clean out. The shelf on top of the nest boxes will also be blocked off.

A close up of the door he made. I am going to kilz and paint before he adds the chicken wire. We are also going to add wire to the holes in top, run wire to the ceiling, and add a vent at the top on the back wall. One of the things I was wondering though is how best to make a roost with it only being 4' wide, and how high up should it be to be above the nest boxes but not SO high that I also need to add something for them to walk up to get to it. I know one 12' 2x4 is one of the options... do you guys normally turn the wider side up if using a 2x4?

icandi your new coop is looking great! Love your set up and the nest boxes.
Thanks! I was not in town when he started on it and he had the nest boxes MUCH higher so he had to pull it back out and lower them, plus he forgot the dividers between them which he says he will now put in a different way since he didn't bring his table saw to my house. I saw a few designs with the boxes sticking out of the coop like that but wanted a removable nest to clean out /replace easier, and so if some one goes broody I can pick the whole thing up. It was this video on youtube that we kind of based the boxes off of to hold the sink tubs. He of course made mine sturdier than what these look like. You can see the whole thing wobble in the video when he messes with it!
0.jpg

If you have leftover Killz, that's fine. If not... Just go to Tractor Supply and buy barn paint. First one-two coats, thin it with water and it will act as your primer. Then do two-three regular coats. I think I did 2 primer, 2 regular coats on mine... Used little less than two gallon cans, but they're only $15ish a can.

If you have leftover Killz, that's fine. If not... Just go to Tractor Supply and buy barn paint. First one-two coats, thin it with water and it will act as your primer. Then do two-three regular coats. I think I did 2 primer, 2 regular coats on mine... Used little less than two gallon cans, but they're only $15ish a can.
What brand was it? I already bought the Kilz but I really need it in my hallway too .. builders grade paint and 4 kids.. is all I need to say! lol
hmm.png

I actually have a can of Barn p\Paint I saw at Walmart for $15 and grabbed that up too to go over the Kilz. With the coop being 12' x 4' I may need both since most of it is well I can't remember the name but you can see it in the pic, all the slices sandwiched together.. Particle Board? It will probably soak up a good bit and if there's anything left I'll use it for my hall.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom