ALABAMA!!

Hey everyone!!

I'm new here & don't raise chickens but have 2 Pekin ducks. I live south of Vernon AL heading towards Millport near the MS line in the small community of Hightogy. I'm a huge fan of UA & I have learned so much being on this site. Just found this thread & glad to know there are others around me. ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!

welcome-byc.gif

Chickens, ducks, it's all good.

Thanks Wisher. I have a live trap I will set out tonight. I'll call some friends and see if someone has a hunting camera. Luckily it didn't get my 8 week old chicks and one hen. Perturbing, but I guess I can build from here.

Sorry to hear.

I leave my coop open, as it's very high off the ground (almost 3 ft) and only accessable by the VERY steep ladder I made. Basically, my chickens fly up, they don't even use the ladder
lol.png
My run has a 6 ft tall fence, AND we live in a subdivision AND my dogs would have a fit if something came in the yard.. so basically, I don't expect trouble.

However, I got some little ones right now that sleep on the ground, so I have been closing it. That crazy storm yesterday kept me from closing the coop too. I was nervous for a bit, but there was no way to get out there... that downpour had a river running through my yard.

I hate subdivision living, but sometimes it's good.

Hello guys and girls !!! It's been awhile since I have been in here but I have a word to say.
Hats off to Wisher 1000!!!! Of all the birds I got from you I have lost two. The mixed turned out 3 Maran males 1 female, I red mix we thought might be an EE. ( just started laying) good brown egg layer
1f609.png
,and 3 black Orpingtons. The other 10 of course were black Orpington. Eight of than are alive and looking good. Thanks again for a great trade.
I really would like to have a buff Orpington or 3 if anyone around NE Alabama has any for sale or trade. Thanks you
1f60a.png

Sorry to hear of your loss Mr B. Same thing happened to me last summer. We caught a momma and 2 baby raccoons but not til they wiped out 6 of my Orphingtons. One thing I found out about raccoons-- they kill just to kill. They tore the heads off my hens and just left the carcasses. Nasty critters.

What about a fox? Could a fox do that? I was thinking a raccoon, but the babies were out too, and nothing happened to them. I would think a raccoon could climb and get into the smaller chicken's pen. A fox, though, wouldn't be able to get to them. I'll see what this live trap does tonight.

A

What about a fox? Could a fox do that? I was thinking a raccoon, but the babies were out too, and nothing happened to them. I would think a raccoon could climb and get into the smaller chicken's pen. A fox, though, wouldn't be able to get to them. I'll see what this live trap does tonight.
Guess it could be fox, however, we had a fox run through our back pasture last year and grab one of my young ducks. He never even broke stride and left with the baby in his mouth. He took his meal with him. I know raccoons can get where you never think they can. They are smart and patient and good at using their paws (I always tell everyone I have a combination lock on the hen door and I'm still not so sure they can't figure the combination out). And they will return until you catch them or all of the nuggets are gone.

Hello guys and girls !!! It's been awhile since I have been in here but I have a word to say.
Hats off to Wisher 1000!!!! Of all the birds I got from you I have lost two. The mixed turned out 3 Maran males 1 female, I red mix we thought might be an EE. ( just started laying) good brown egg layer
1f609.png
,and 3 black Orpingtons. The other 10 of course were black Orpington. Eight of than are alive and looking good. Thanks again for a great trade.
I really would like to have a buff Orpington or 3 if anyone around NE Alabama has any for sale or trade. Thanks you
1f60a.png

That's great, Dan! I'm pleased that you are happy. What happened to the two you lost? What is your male/female ratio for the Black Orps? I know those big ol' boys are welcome (one of the few breeds where I don't mind having a bunch of roosters) but the hens are the base for your flock. I was just wondering how many you ended up with, and of course, I want some pics.........

Back
Top Bottom