ALABAMA!!

All valuable ideas - what works for one doesn't work for any other. We had way more red tailed hawks in MO than I've seen here and they never tried to take any of our birds but the hens could hide in the woods really easy. I figured the bald eagles around here might be more of a problem - wasn't too worried about all of the pelicans though. I realize that you will loose some but all you can do is put forth your best effort and learn from mistakes.

Funny thing about snakes - those rat snakes will kill copperheads (at least that was the old timers wisdom in the Ozarks) and will help keep some of your other pests at bay but yeah you can't keep them out of your coop either.

You say 12 gauge - I suggest .17 hmr or .22 LR as I don't actually have to leave the house to fend of the vicious beast threatening the ladies, and skunks can only spray you if you get close enough. The only thing that we caught in our trap in MO was the neighbors cat that the ladies got along with - the cat was older and mellow but apparently loved canned sardines.

I appreciate reading everyone's ideas in all of the forums. I will be the first to admit ignorance about many things - ignorance being the void of knowledge without experience (pretty sure that's not how Webster's put it) and other's experience are invaluable in solving what one does not know.

My chickens have coops, pens, yard area -all inside a fence property. But I do allow them to free range during the day.  I live with woods around me, so there is no getting away from [COLOR=333333]biosecurity.  I have possums, raccoon, foxes, coyotes, deer, boar, hawks, crows, wild birds, cats, ground moles, horses, dogs, livestock. The crows and wild birds are here anyways, and not trying for my chicken feed or their yard. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I was trying something that might work for me.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I will not post here again, sorry.[/COLOR]

Why you say that? Don't stop posting. We all have our own lil things we do, or wana try. I for one have painted faces on empty feed bags, and hung them in thetrees around property, tacky ? Most definitely! Works? For a day or so, then I take them down for a day then put them back up. I considered the cost to put bird netting over the entire property. lol joke!

Why you say that? Don't stop posting. We all have our own lil things we do, or wana try. I for one have painted faces on empty feed bags, and hung them in thetrees around property, tacky ? Most definitely! Works? For a day or so, then I take them down for a day then put them back up. I considered the cost to put bird netting over the entire property. lol joke!
gig.gif

Sounds like something I would do. I've heard of folks hanging CDs off tree branches with fishing line. The reflection scares 'em off.

Hello everyone. I'm new to the chicken raising world (and BYC).... and I mean NEW... been at it for 3 days NEW. I live in Decatur, AL and emailed the city official asking if I could have a backyard coop and they replied yes just no rooster and as long as the neighbors don't mind. I didn't ask the neighbors but when they saw me outside last weekend disassembling pallets and forming a structure they had a few questions. Then they pitched in with whatever scrap materials they had too. Turned out to be a pretty decent coop. I bought 4 RIR's Wednesday morning from a guy at work and got an egg that first morning and 2 eggs yesterday. None so far today... :( (was really looking forward to a nice sized omelete tomorrow morning.) So I have the 4 RIR's but does anyone know where I could fine 2 other hens to go with them in the north Alabama area. Not sure which breed I'm looking to add either. I'm open to some suggestions. I'm looking for some pretty good layers that are also good with kids (me too for that matter or else they'll be dinner lol). I've heard Barred Rocks maybe. Any tips on good feed stores would be great too. I heard that Tractor Supply stuck it to me when I bought their feed there Tuesday. Anyways I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone and maybe building a few relationships here along the way. Thanks.

Hello everyone. I'm new to the chicken raising world (and BYC).... and I mean NEW... been at it for 3 days NEW. I live in Decatur, AL and emailed the city official asking if I could have a backyard coop and they replied yes just no rooster and as long as the neighbors don't mind. I didn't ask the neighbors but when they saw me outside last weekend disassembling pallets and forming a structure they had a few questions. Then they pitched in with whatever scrap materials they had too. Turned out to be a pretty decent coop. I bought 4 RIR's Wednesday morning from a guy at work and got an egg that first morning and 2 eggs yesterday. None so far today... :( (was really looking forward to a nice sized omelete tomorrow morning.) So I have the 4 RIR's but does anyone know where I could fine 2 other hens to go with them in the north Alabama area. Not sure which breed I'm looking to add either. I'm open to some suggestions. I'm looking for some pretty good layers that are also good with kids (me too for that matter or else they'll be dinner lol). I've heard Barred Rocks maybe. Any tips on good feed stores would be great too. I heard that Tractor Supply stuck it to me when I bought their feed there Tuesday. Anyways I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone and maybe building a few relationships here along the way. Thanks.
Welcome to the site! Personally, I like Black Australorps. They're relatively calm birds and good layers. I have a dominequ hen that is my most reliable layer, but she's skittish. My RIRs are actually my most aggressive hens. I'd steer clear of game hens as the tend to be very aggressive, at least, that's been my experience with them. They were terrific layers though. :rolleyes:

Hello everyone.  I'm new to the chicken raising world (and BYC).... and I mean NEW...  been at it for 3 days NEW.  I live in Decatur, AL and emailed the city official asking if I could have a backyard coop and they replied yes just no rooster and as long as the neighbors don't mind.  I didn't ask the neighbors but when they saw me outside last weekend disassembling pallets and forming a structure they had a few questions.  Then they pitched in with whatever scrap materials they had too.  Turned out to be a pretty decent coop.  I bought 4 RIR's Wednesday morning from a guy at work and got an egg that first morning and 2 eggs yesterday.  None so far today... :(  (was really looking forward to a nice sized omelete tomorrow morning.)  So I have the 4 RIR's but does anyone know where I could fine 2 other hens to go with them in the north Alabama area.  Not sure which breed I'm looking to add either.  I'm open to some suggestions.  I'm looking for some pretty good layers that are also good with kids (me too for that matter or else they'll be dinner lol).  I've heard Barred Rocks maybe.  Any tips on good feed stores would be great too.  I heard that Tractor Supply stuck it to me when I bought their feed there Tuesday. Anyways  I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone and maybe building a few relationships here along the way.  Thanks.

:welcome-byc My favorite breeds are RSL,Orpington, welsummer, and ee's. A lot of people choose breed by egg color so they can have a nice colorful basket. Most hand raised hens are sweet.

Oh and if you're only adding 2 hens be careful of the amount of time spent on BYC there are a lot of chicken math enablers. :)
Well this way I'll have 6 hens. Or half a dozen to the other
smile.png
(I'll be here all week) I'm new to this stuff... I probably shouldn't start out with 40 although at this rate I feel I'll end up there rather quick.

Back
Top Bottom