ALABAMA!!

If your willing to drive into Huntsville, CT Garvins sells chicks and they are labeled pullets (except for the silkie bantams). As they are in the city they usually don't have roosters.

I noticed I've got one large hen that is showing the others who's in charge already. She's cleverly been named Momma Hen by my son. Will the Ausralorp be able to get along with the others? Momma hens not aggressive but if she wants something and another hen is in her way she make them move for sure.

Aren't they fun to watch? We call that "chicken TV" and I can sit and watch it for hours. That hen is likely the oldest one you have. They tend to get more confident and set in their ways as they get older, hence the term "old biddy." Many people will also call chicks "biddies," but I think it was originally used for hens with chicks.

Embrace that hen, let her be the boss as long as she doesn't hurt any of the other hens/pullets. That is the natural way of the flock and she will not only keep the girls from squabbling too much, but will keep the rooster in his place as well!

There is nothing more effective than an older hen for teaching a young cockerel (that's the term, BexB) manners and civility around the hens. When a cockerel is raised in a flock with a good rooster who will put him in his place but not hurt him, and older hens that will make him humble and require that he "ask nicely" if he wants to mate, that cockerel will grow up to be a d**n fine flock master. He will be fiercely protective of his hens, willing to battle to the death for them and still gentle and kind in mating. They are the ones most likely to be tolerant of the young ones coming up in the flock, as well. I've had several flock raised roosters that would babysit the chicks, teaching them to forage and tidbitting them just like he does the hens.

Aren't they fun to watch? We call that "chicken TV" and I can sit and watch it for hours. That hen is likely the oldest one you have. They tend to get more confident and set in their ways as they get older, hence the term "old biddy." Many people will also call chicks "biddies," but I think it was originally used for hens with chicks.

Embrace that hen, let her be the boss as long as she doesn't hurt any of the other hens/pullets. That is the natural way of the flock and she will not only keep the girls from squabbling too much, but will keep the rooster in his place as well!

There is nothing more effective than an older hen for teaching a young cockerel (that's the term, BexB) manners and civility around the hens. When a cockerel is raised in a flock with a good rooster who will put him in his place but not hurt him, and older hens that will make him humble and require that he "ask nicely" if he wants to mate, that cockerel will grow up to be a d**n fine flock master. He will be fiercely protective of his hens, willing to battle to the death for them and still gentle and kind in mating. They are the ones most likely to be tolerant of the young ones coming up in the flock, as well. I've had several flock raised roosters that would babysit the chicks, teaching them to forage and tidbitting them just like he does the hens.
They are a lot of fun to watch. I just thought they would be dumb chickens that would provide me with a dozen or so eggs a week, but actually they've each got a personality. Momma hen can be tough at times but at the end of the day they all cuddle up with each other in the coop and go to sleep.

I think they are finally starting to warm up to me a bit. They used to run from me when I went in the coop but now they come up to me. They just want my food but it's a start lol. I've got a fenced in coop inside of a fenced in backyard. I'm thinking about letting them free range out in the backyard some inside of the fence. Is this a good/bad idea? How long do you think I should wait to try this?

Hello everyone. I'm new to the chicken raising world (and BYC).... and I mean NEW... been at it for 3 days NEW. I live in Decatur, AL and emailed the city official asking if I could have a backyard coop and they replied yes just no rooster and as long as the neighbors don't mind. I didn't ask the neighbors but when they saw me outside last weekend disassembling pallets and forming a structure they had a few questions. Then they pitched in with whatever scrap materials they had too. Turned out to be a pretty decent coop. I bought 4 RIR's Wednesday morning from a guy at work and got an egg that first morning and 2 eggs yesterday. None so far today... :( (was really looking forward to a nice sized omelete tomorrow morning.) So I have the 4 RIR's but does anyone know where I could fine 2 other hens to go with them in the north Alabama area. Not sure which breed I'm looking to add either. I'm open to some suggestions. I'm looking for some pretty good layers that are also good with kids (me too for that matter or else they'll be dinner lol). I've heard Barred Rocks maybe. Any tips on good feed stores would be great too. I heard that Tractor Supply stuck it to me when I bought their feed there Tuesday. Anyways I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone and maybe building a few relationships here along the way. Thanks.

welcome-byc.gif

Ace hardware/True Value carries Nutrena for $12.50 for a 50lb bag. Local feed stores may have even better deals. Yellow pages can help with that, I believe
smile.png

Australorps do well in our climate, as well as any type of plymouth rock (white, barred, partridge etc). My best layers are the white rocks.

Back
Top Bottom