ALABAMA!!

30 years ago i couldn't give a green or blue egg away. Now what were once brown egg buyers - enjoy them and expect them. It appears duck eggs will soon be on the way to being popular, for everyday use. I see more and more duck eggs for sale. I guess like goat meat. These trends change as our population changes.

Did some chicken shaming today- i showed that brood of freeloaders what eggs looked like. All they cared about was treats from the kitchen. The neighbors 3 year old hens are still producing.
gig.gif

They're lovely. I can't believe I am basically getting more green and blue than brown eggs
lol.png
My original hens are slowing down, but those little ladies are pumping 'em out.

Just let me know if you want some again, I've got 3 boxes ready to go
smile.png
$2 a dozen. I can throw a few muscovy eggs in there if you like, those are fertile (or they make great scrambled eggs and baked goods!)
I don't need any but let me check with some of my friends. They aren't getting any eggs from me since 5 of 6 went broody. One day I may hit you for some muscovy hatching eggs. I'm already in love with my duckling and it even haven't hatched yet. Been having conversion with it through the shell. Finger crossed it make it through the hatching process. Bur first I have to thin out the flock. Can't keep all the chicks.

30 years ago i couldn't give a green or blue egg away. Now what were once brown egg buyers - enjoy them and expect them. It appears duck eggs will soon be on the way to being popular, for everyday use. I see more and more duck eggs for sale. I guess like goat meat. These trends change as our population changes.
Everyone around me wants green or blue eggs. Some of them say it even taste better. Can't convience them that it's because it's a fresh egg and not due to it's color. Didn't realize it was not popular at one time. Interesting...

Last edited:
Not too bad. Had a power line go down in the yard. Killed a opossum in one of the coops. Had a hen destroy two sets of eggs and then finally come out of broody mode. Let's not forget about all the mud. At least I'm still alive and well. :)
Wait. A power line came down and killed a possum in the chicken coop? Then a hen, frustrated by sitting so long with no results, went on a rampage and broke all the eggs in two different nests, verifying her suspicions that there were NO chicks in any of them? Gee, your life is much more exciting than mine. :lau
:yuckyuck :lau Mine too!
:gig Ok, I deserved that! Here's what actually happened. We had a tree limb fall on the power lines and snap them. I had to kill a opossum in one of the coops. It was another young one like the two I gave away. My first set of eggs under the Chantie hen from a few weeks ago went bad. I think she broke a few of them and the rest got bacteria in them. She abandoned the second set I put under her for some unknown reason. It's possible there's another opossum hanging around and scared her off them. She's not broody anymore, so I'm just going to collect eggs from everyone and hatch them in the bator.
WOW -- how scary! Quicky question: Aren't chanti's like a breed from Canada? WHY would you have them in Alabama to suffer our heat? They may not do well here, but then again they may do fine. I have Dorkings which are supposedly "fragile", and they are anything but fragile. lol
They're actually doing fantastic. All of my pens are in the shade and I make sure they have cool water at all times. So far since chickadoodles brought them to me I haven't had any problems with the heat. They're great layers

Everyone around me wants green or blue eggs. Some of them say it even taste better. Can't convience them that it's because it's a fresh egg and not due to it's color. Didn't realize it was not popular at one time. Interesting...

Some folks think they're bad.. blue/green = mold

Just like some folks think brown eggs are the whole wheat version of eggs.... healthier than white
roll.png

When ducky arrives, I can spare a muscovy play mate if you need one (or two).

I have a purebred imported strain English Blue Orpington rooster who is about 26 weeks old and he needs a new home.

He is a gorgeous bird and he takes care of his ladies in every way. Free to a good home with other chickens. Add some significant new genetics to your flock!

This is no average bird! He is two to three times the size of the Black Australorp hen I have.

No shipping!

I am close to Auburn Alabama (War Eagle!
big_smile.png
)

You can call me at 510-378-8605. Would appreciate a good youngish hen in trade but not required.

Greg

OMG Greg -- he is GORGEOUS!!!! Stop it!!! He actually look chocolate if that is possible. lol

He really is a looker! I just hope I can find him a new home soon!

Some folks think they're bad.. blue/green = mold

Just like some folks think brown eggs are the whole wheat version of eggs.... healthier than white
roll.png

When ducky arrives, I can spare a muscovy play mate if you need one (or two).

Don't temp me!
jumpy.gif
Thinking of finding a playmate if the duck hatch but right now I have too many chicks running around.
smile.png

Last edited:
Raz I never had any problems with them in the heat here either. But every after noon I would give all my birds a puddle to cool their feet in and hunt bugs in. :)

I do that for them too. Especially on a day like today.

Today has been really bad. The ducklings have been dropping like flies today and I have no idea what's going on. They get fresh water and their little pool cleaned out daily. Feed hasn't changed the entire time since they hatched. I just can't figure it out.

And I doubt the mummified rat I found this morning has anything to do with it. Yuck.

Gosh, 15 eggs today
th.gif
I have 6 dozen eggs sitting on my counter.. I need more customers
lol.png

I noticed today that our big tree seems to be thicker than previous years, over the chicken area. It's very cool in their run
smile.png
They're some lucky birds.

We purchased a bat house recently, to hang on our tree. With some luck we'll have bats move in. That'll be great mosquito control!

Gosh, 15 eggs today :th I have 6 dozen eggs sitting on my counter.. I need more customers :lol:

I noticed today that our big tree seems to be thicker than previous years, over the chicken area. It's very cool in their run :) They're some lucky birds.

We purchased a bat house recently, to hang on our tree. With some luck we'll have bats move in. That'll be great mosquito control!

I sold 5 dozen at our farmers market last Saturday (chicken eggs). Do you have a farmers market close by?

Back
Top Bottom