ALABAMA!!

Thanks for sharing! At what temp do you turn your heat source on? I'm in central Alabama and didn't think I would really need heat in the winter. BUT I don't have chicks so any info is helpful.
Chicks require 90 degree temperature. When I have chicks I lower the two heat lamps to a couple of feet from the ground. They can move closer to the cone of warm light when they start to get cold, and away from it when they get too warm. Fully feathered adults do not require all that heat, so I raise the lamps almost all the way to the ceiling.

In Alabama, chickens do not need any added heat once they have their feathers, even in the winter. They do however need plenty of ventilation, both summer and winter.
Maybe they don't need it but they sure like it, judging from how they gather around the lamp when it gets below freezing as it did last winter a couple of times, messing up my fruit trees already in blossom. Besides, the heat keeps the water in the drinker from freezing.

Chicks require 90 degree temperature. When I have chicks I lower the two heat lamps to a couple of feet from the ground. They can move closer to the cone of warm light when they start to get cold, and away from it when they get too warm. Fully feathered adults do not require all that heat, so I raise the lamps almost all the way to the ceiling.

Sorry, I'm not using the correct terminology. I said "chicks" but I plan on getting some adult chickens after my coop gets built. At what temperature do you give your adult chickens heat in the winter? I've read they need good ventilation but no drafts in winter.

Sorry, I'm not using the correct terminology. I said "chicks" but I plan on getting some adult chickens after my coop gets built. At what temperature do you give your adult chickens heat in the winter? I've read they need good ventilation but no drafts in winter.
In the winter if the temperature is mild I do not turn on the heat lamps. But when the forecast for the night is in the freezing range I turn them on. That also keeps the water in the drinker from freezing. A good ventilation is always necessary because of the ammonia in the feces.

Anyone raising quail (OTHER THAN BOBWHITE) or ring-neck pheasants? I'm trying to figure out if I need a license for the pheasants, and whether I need a license to sell *live* Pharoah quail or eggs. Everything in the quail license info says bobwhite, and when I called, the guy told me Pharoah were bobwhites...so... Would love any info from locals!

Anyone raising quail (OTHER THAN BOBWHITE) or ring-neck pheasants? I'm trying to figure out if I need a license for the pheasants, and whether I need a license to sell *live* Pharoah quail or eggs. Everything in the quail license info says bobwhite, and when I called, the guy told me Pharoah were bobwhites...so... Would love any info from locals!
I am! None are laying yet... but when they do will contact you to see if you’re still interested :)

Anyone have or know of anyone who has ducklings or goslings for sale near Andalusia? I hatched a lone gosling and he needs some companions. Of course the ONE time I went to TSC looking for some they’d already taken down everything for the season. -_- :rolleyes: :lau
D82DB731-04E3-43B4-B448-7205C570BE58.jpeg
E4E900FA-ECD5-4670-9F23-12C4DD9BB12C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom