ALABAMA!!

Your best bet if you want to persue chickens is to stay in the unincorporated areas. Many municipalities will allow hens as long as no one complains. There are many Yuppie areas ( for lack of a better term) that consider themselves above chickens. But having said that there are many people in the Bham area who keep and love our chickens.

I am about 25 miles N of Bham. In a traditionally agricultural area. So just check out the area before you decide where you'll be moving.
When you get here join us on facebook. We have several great Alabama chicken groups. And Welcome to the South!

Hi,
My husband and I just found out last night that he is being transferred by the Army to Birmingham, Alabama from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. We are born and bred Iowans so this is a big change! However, I was just on the cusp of starting my backyard chicken flock here in Cedar Rapids. I had ordered my chicks, due to arrive in two weeks, and am scheduled to take my chicken class at the local nature center tomorrow. I am debating whether it is worth still going, but I am wondering - will I be able to pursue my dream of backyard chickens in Birmingham, Alabama? I would love some information! I have no idea yet where we are going to be living; we have to make a trip down there at some point in the next six months and see what we can find, plus sell our home in Iowa. But it would be great to know what neighborhoods or districts are chicken friendly. Thanks everyone.
P.S. I am new to BYC and it took me a minute to realize there was a whole Alabama thread - I started a new thread somewhere else so I apologize if you are seeing this more than once. : )

To the person looking for silkies:

I just bought 4 chicks from a lady in Hanceville. Another local chicken person brought them back for me when she made the run. I believe she still has more. I'm not sure if she is on the forum, though; I found them via facebook.

Last edited:
Kofnye from Prattville.
Welcome to the forum, from Jefferson Co. Al.
smile.png

Last edited:
Went to the show in Newnan. It was pretty neat, only the second show we've ever been to. Didn't show, just looking. Came back with a birchen marans roo, a blue copper marans roo, and the cutest pair of bantam faverolles. They are soooooo cute.. does anyone else here raise bantam faverolles? Would love to get another hen.

Back
Top Bottom