Alarmingly GINORMOUS poops!! ???????

Suellyn

Crowing
15 Years
Nov 7, 2008
SouthWestern PA
My young Serama hen "Flower" seriously did the most out-of-proportion to her size, HUGE, poop ever. I know it is kinda funny sounding, but I am SERIOUSLY a bit concerned!!!!!
ep.gif
th.gif

History: she is only about 6 months old, but has been laying cute little yummy eggs for about a month with no problems. She is a beloved PET of my 4 yr old DD & follows her around all over the place. She is acting FINE, eating, drinking, "talking", scratching around, and being her normal cute & friendly self.

BUT.... she just did a poo that was SERIOUSLY 2 or 3 times bigger than her eggs, way bigger than her head.... It is really pretty unbelievable. Normal looking/formed... Just HUGE!!!!!! Poor girl... all I can think is that she must have been holding it for a looooooong time... ??? WHY??????

The *ONLY* think I can think of is "broody hen poops" but I have never seen one, NOR is she acting broody!!!! She DOES spend a fair amount of time in nestbox, but comes out readily.

She IS housed in a cage that is only about 3 foot by 4 foot by 3 foot high until her coop is done, but is let out to play daily for hours. HOWEVER, I was sick yesterday, did not let her out, and it was today within 5 minutes of being let out of cage that she did it.... Am I accidentally "crate training" her like a DOG????

I have never heard of anything like this.. anyone?????? anyone???????

?????????????????????????????????????????????????

My dwarf hen makes humoungouerous poopies whenever she sets on eggs because she doesn't get up to poop but once a day. Haha. They're bigger than the eggs that she lays.

basically you answered your own question

if it doesn't smell awful
it isn't runny
your okay just held it a long time

any questions email me

Quote:
But WHY????? Is the poor girl sitting there with her eyes crossed cuz she's gotta POO SO BAD, but wont "go" 'til I let her out??? Or is this just something they DO every now & then?
hu.gif

Interesting... now you mention it, I had thought it was weird that my girls seem to save their smelly vile caecal poops until they are let out onto the grass in the mornings. I rarely see one done inside their 8'x6' run, and they've usually been up about three hours before I open the gate of their run.

How funny - they really must hold them in until they're let out!

And people say that they aren't especially 'clean' animals... it seems they are keen to keep their cage/run free of nasty droppings, so they must be vaguely houseproud.

We also have Serama. They do the same thing when they are laying regardless of whether or not they are sitting. I have had about 40 different Serama and they all did the same thing.

Broody hen poops, for sure.

My mom used to call them "Holy Hand Grenades" (in honor of Monty Python's Holy Graile) because she accidentally broke one open in the house once. And ohhhhhh the smell!

Back
Top Bottom