Alarmingly Thin Eggs | HELP | (Graphic Images)

I'm not sure her exact age, we got her from a family friend, but she is at least a few years old.
I feed them mainly chicken feed (not sure what kind, I will have to check), with the occasional fruit (mostly melons), eggs, and bread as a treat. And then of course they also eat lots of bugs, worms, and frogs. And they are always provided with crushed oyster shells as well.
Cut out all the 'extras'.
Find protein and calcium percentages on tag at bottom of feed bag.
She probably slowing stopping production getting ready for molting and winter break,
you can get some funky eggs around that time.

I had thought bread was alright as a rare treat ^^' but I will stop giving it to them.
If you look closely at the list of nowadays "bread" ingredients, you will notice that the bigger part is all kinds of artificial additives as flavouring agents, preservatives, colourants, auxiliary materials for the production lines etc. The least is grain/cereal.

Bread fills them up and has almost no nutritional value, it even can trigger sour crop.

Cut out all the 'extras'.
Find protein and calcium percentages on tag at bottom of feed bag.
She probably slowing stopping production getting ready for molting and winter break,
you can get some funky eggs around that time.
By extras do you mean the fruit, eggs, and bread? Everyone always says that fruits and eggs are good for them, and bread was only ever a very small, rare treat.

Ok, thank you! I didn't know it was ok to give them people tablets (I guess why wouldn't it be since it's all the same vitamin, haha). I will have to ask my mom to get some the next time she is at the store. How often should I give it to them? Would it be a daily thing?
For this hen I would supply for 10 consecutive days at least.

By extras do you mean the fruit, eggs, and bread? Everyone always says that fruits and eggs are good for them, and bread was only ever a very small, rare treat.
Yes. Eggs are OK but the rest is likely diluting the nutrients in the feed.
Still need to know the protein and calcium percentages of the feed.

One of my chickens has been laying alarmingly thin eggs lately. So thin they break before she gets them out. I was never sure if they were breaking before or after she played them, but I caught her on video today laying (photos are provided at the end, I don't know how to post a video on here). My main concern is that this could be a medical problem, or could cause a medical problem.
I provide my chickens with crushed oyster shells for calcium, but she doesn't really like to eat them. What other things do you recommend giving chickens for extra calcium? Should I start feeding her eggs daily with the shell crushed in? I've tried feeding her just crushed egg shells, but she's picky about what she eats.
Edit: I guess I should have taken a quick look at the stickied thread for the common egg deformities. I was just very concerned and wanted to get advice as soon as possible. This is most likely just calcium deficiency, so I guess this thread will more be me asking what you all recommend giving to chickens for calcium. I will start giving her eggs daily and see if I can encourage her more to eat the oyster shells as well, but other suggestions would be fantastic.
View attachment 2353135View attachment 2353136
I have one doing the same thing

20200929_125418.jpg

Back
Top Bottom