alas! I must cull my entire flock..... :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by earth_bee, Jan 14, 2013.

1. earth_bee

earth_bee Out Of The Brooder

Hi folks,
    After going great guns this last 12 months with my first 'serious' flock, I have made a few rookie mistakes and inadvertently introduced a respiratory disease into my flock via a friends sick adult bird that I took in and didn't realise was sick untill it was too late. We culled her but now about a third of the flock have stopped laying and are snotty and sneezing. I have made the decision to cull everyone and start again in a few months. This is set to happen in the wee hours tomorrow.

I know where I have gone wrong and I don't plan on making those mistakes again, having to part with my birds because of stupid mistakes on my part is very sad.

My question is this, do ducks and geese get these diseases too? I have a one goose in with the chickens ( he is a bit special and doesn't like the dam/pond ) and some muscovies that started their life in with the chickens but are now out on the dam/pond. We did lose one duck but I thought it was the 40deg (105deg F) plus days we just had.

So, should the water birds go too?

Thanks for any advice.

2. So sorry!

No, all waterfowl should be fine from respiratory problems like so! ;)

3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Waterfowl are hardier than chickens, plus the bacteria causing your chickens to be sick is probably not the same strain that affects waterfowl. You could try Vet RX with your chickens if you want to attempt to save them and sure that it is a respiratory ailment. Vet RX works a charm.

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    OH I am sorry to hear that. You ducks and geese should be ok.

5. earth_bee

thanks all!
    I had thought about medicating but after a big read up and chats to other local chicken keepers I decided to cull and start again, and it is done now so no turning back. :( We decided to err on the side of caution and send the goose that was living in the pen off to the big pond in the sky too but the ones are outside the pen on the pond are happy and I'm relieved as it was 9 birds (out of the 43) that got spared :)

Now counting down to when I can start again.

6. The Goose will stay in your pond. Are you saying your setting it free?

7. earth_bee

I meant we sent it to goose heaven....

8. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I am sorry for your loss. I think in the end you have made the best decision even though I am sure it was a hard one to make. I wish you well with you new flock when you are able to get one.

9. Oh....

I'm so sorry! ~ hugs ~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by