Alaska, are you getting ready for Mt. Redoubt eruption?

wishin4chicken

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Hayden Lake, Idaho
I remember when Mt. St. Helens erupted in 1980 and the time it took to get rid of ash, etc. Are you doing anything special to get ready for the possibility of a Mt. Redoubt eruption?

Michele.

Last edited:
RDN24hr_heli.png

Yup, we're getting ready. Not much we can do about it, though.

*edited to add that this graph updates every 10 minutes or so. It shows CURRENT activity at the bottom.

Last edited:
alaska is an amazing place... but they're not the only ones ready to erupt! (though the head of the usgs would kick me for it).. check out yellowstone

It's scary, and it's close... 50-70 miles West across the inlet from us. I'm in the direct wind-path if there's ash fall in the next 24 hours.

My brother lives within Yellowstone's shadow...
sad.png
Mom's growing older by the minute.
hmm.png

Alaska Volcano Observatory (AVO) website for Redoubt

MsAk, can you see it from there???? 70 miles across the inlet doen't seem far at all. I would guess if you face the inlet you might be able to see it. I'll check out that connection you posted.

just don't breathe in any of the ash... luckily it makes excellent fertilizer.. do they know what side of the mountain redoubt will blow from? (nevermind, i checked out the site! lol)

possibly suggest your brother to think about a change of abode? yellowstone won't erupt has big has it had at one point in time... but it'll still be a 50 mile radius of pyroclastic flow.. not to mention ash.. not fun

Last edited:
I'm behind a small hill, but if I head out to the highway and head towards Soldotna (~ 10 miles away) I look right at it. It is NOT that far away. At least the inlet is between us, so the ashfall is the only thing we have to worry about. I have extra tarps to put over the runs to keep as much ash out of the pens as I can, and I'll be taping up doors and vents in the event that she burps.

In 2003 those wildfires around here left us with masks on and indoors with A/C all the time. That was bad but this would be 10X that bad!!!! I am a bit worried for you. Is it blowing ash yet?

Back
Top Bottom