Alaska Chicken Lover's Soup for the Cold!!

ep.gif
I found the incubator at 104'!
The other temp in the water bowl said 94'.
I hope its a split the difference situation
th.gif

hi Jessie! Good to see you here!

The dark cornish were my adult birds that went on to live with a friend of mine in the Butte...did I say I won't miss that rooster? lol......

The hatch went pretty good! I replied to your email a bit ago....

Deb

Paula,
How long do you think it was at that temp and which thermometer were you using? The fan is working right? Sorry I missed your post.
hugs.gif
You know you can call if you need anything, right? Somewhere along the line, usually in the last part of the second week, the embryos begin to generate some of their own heat and the temps will rise. Keep an eye out for that. Don't toss the eggs until you are sure they are not viable. There are tons of posts about people who have had temp spikes and chicks to show for it. Where is the incubator located? I'm thinking your bathroom would be an ideal spot since it is away from windows. Now that the sun is shining more and temps outside are warming up, that can play havoc on incubating temps. Also if they are near a door that is opened and closed regularly or heat vents, those mess things up too.

I was thinking about your RIR eggs this morning. I have some eggs under a pampered broody that will hatch a couple of days before yours. I hope you don't have any more excitement until hatch day.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey! i got the bator stuff figured out. No loss at all
thumbsup.gif

I've just been curious why no one will talk with me on here of late
idunno.gif

I'm SO glad you got the bator stuff figured out. How many RIR eggs you got in there?

I don't think anyone is intentionally ignoring you. Conversation on this thread seems to be a bit disjointed in the last months. I for one have been SSSSOOOO busy with working my head off at my folks ranch for 3 weeks and then trying to get back in the groove at home. Getting the kids back into their lessons and dealing with a myriad of other pressing minutia has kept me busy full time. We have been home almost 2 weeks and I am just now feeling like I might be able to catch my breath. DH is going to have gallbladder surgery in a couple of weeks.
sad.png
Not thrilled about that.

DD's duck has been laying a clutch. She has 12 eggs under her. I think 2 were contributed by our blue duck who is a sporatic layer. Charlie's foot looks the same and she gets around fine. Wiggle and Cocoa have been saying harsh things to each other with Wiggle ending up having to sneak around to spend any "meaningful" time with the girls. I think Wiggle and Cocoa are each other's exercise program. They spend half their day walking around and posturing at each other. It gets kinda funny.

Our inside chicken was out on the deck today. She heard the other chickens below calling. She told them she was not coming back as she had become "domesticated".
lol.png
Brat!

The kids and I put up PVC hoops over the raised beds. We had to dig out the snow from around the beds to be able to attach the brackets. Tomorrow we will strech the plastic over them to help things warm up quicker. I know I will be planting potatoes, but I don't know if I want to take up valuable raised bed space for them. Was thinking about straw or hay in round wire cages. You ever do that? Any tips? I have also been throwing around some ideas for making some garden beds out of plastic barrels cut lengthwise. What do you think? What would you do if you had a bunch of barrels?

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey! i got the bator stuff figured out. No loss at all
thumbsup.gif

I've just been curious why no one will talk with me on here of late
idunno.gif

Sorry, I am new here and I don't know anything about incubators but
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom