Alaska Chicken Lover's Soup for the Cold!!

Quote:
Hey
frow.gif

I just put a large amount of black plastic over part of my garden area too
big_smile.png

Snow has dropped 2-3 inches since yesterday as a result!

Barrels? I think you could certainly make beds that way. If I had several laying around, I would be starting a humanure set up
wink.png

I plant all out taters in hay, straw and leaf mulch. with a bit of manure and dirt mixed in.
Works very well. Just make long rows, or, do wire baskets if that works better for your yard.
Seed taters just came in at Budget Feed, so we need to get over there and buy up what we need.

I guess this thread has sort of died. Everyone did move over to facebook, but I gave that up when I started getting weird pms from someone I did not know
roll.png

I guess you are right. I don't do Facebook so I am out of the loop.

Do you just plant directly on the ground and cover with layers of straw and manure added on top?

Quote:
A layer of hot manure, then a good layer of mulch, then taters, then mulch. Keep adding your hay, leaves or straw as they grow.

Thanks! That will save valuable garden space.

I might be able to get some more plastic barrels. Are you interested in any?

That is exactly one of the things I was thinking of for the barrels! The yard at our new place is swampy and terrible, and, since it's a rental, I don't want to put a lot of money into building raised beds and building soil (though most would be rabbit manure) so after I get my water barrel rigged up for watering all the plants (No outside spigot here! Have to run a hose through the house to the kitchen sink, and I definitely dont want to do that every day!) if I could get more barrels I was going to cut 'em down for garden containers.

Do you think lengthwise would be better than just cutting them in half? I go back and forth, guess it depends on what I'd be growing in them.

Since my yard is so small, I'm also going to try growing potatoes in a tower using this method: http://www.irisheyesgardenseeds.com/growers1.php

But
, if I have blue barrels all over my yard, I might build a grow bag out if a tarp to stick with the blue theme and go with that.
smile.png

I've got three little chicks downstairs in the brooder, and 42 eggs in the incubator. My turner gave out on me and I've been hand turning, but I found someone that is willing to lend me a turner so maybe I'll be ok after all!

Paula,
They have solid ends with two holes in the top end. They are not like the metal barrels with rims and solid lid. These barrels come from a car wash and contained car washing soap and possibly wax. If you go on SS and find the thread about a cheap bee hive idea, that is what the barrels look like. Still interested?

Rachel,
I think they would work great for gardens. That is what I am thinking. I plan to cut them sideways and fill with compost for planting vegetables.

Hi everyone! It's nice to see some new members on here, and the familiar ones too.
smile.png
I have been spending most of my computer time on the Facebook page, but I miss catching up here too.

Paula I am so happy for you, I saw you have a new addition, and I don't mean the ducks!
wink.png

I have 50 meat birds coming in June, turkeys coming up on the chicken train tomorrow, and some eggs in the bator due to hatch next Tuesday. I LOVE this time of year!

Nice to meet you.
big_smile.png

I have chicks coming up on the chicken train too, I can't wait!
wee.gif

I wish I could meet everyone but I have to work so Tori is catching me on the way back by Anchorage.

Back
Top Bottom