Alaska Chicken Lover's Soup for the Cold!!

Just read it. I wrote some assemblymen last month and they said they were in support of back yard chickens. So lets hope they put their vote where it shows.
Here is the place I got more info on who to email.
http://akcenter.org/legalize-backyard-chickens-in-anchorage

I picked up my chicks from Tori today, awesome! They are all settled in and eating and drinking. So cute. I got 3 blue silkies, 3 orpingtons (1 is a splash not sure what others are) and 1 BC Maran.
Even though the silkies are tiny they don't back down. They bull doze their way through or go right over the top of everyone else. And they have eaten the most too, LOL.

I am assuming you all had read my posts about the cochins I bought off craigslist and their feet?

One is doing great. One is I think starting to get an infection and the third has an infection that looks like it's spreading up her leg. The good news the have all put on weight and comb and ear lobes have pinked up and even the third one is perky.

I plucked some feathers off the 3 one's foot to get a better look and some of them just seemed to squish out very easily and her leg is pretty red up to her shank.

I had been giving duramyacin, 1/2 tsp in a quart waterer. It looks like I need some thing stronger. What can i get at AK mill and feed or elsewhere??

Please advise if you can...she is sitting on my lap as I type. Very sweet and I felt horrible plucking her feet and picking at her
hit.gif

Thank you,

Hi, I'm trying to piece together a new flock out of local chicks. Have a few Black Copper Marans from MsDeb, and some Blue-Black-Splash 'canas. Looking for Easter Eggers, Chanteclers, and anything else interesting, especially with no combs/wattles, like Orloff, Cream Brabanters, Buckeyes. Or Black Sex Links for early eggs. Also Muscovey ducklings.

It's been a stressfull year...got laid off from my job at the end of May last year and haven't found another one here. Sooooo, DH put in for a job transfer and he was just told yesterday that it was approved. We'll be moving to Trinidad, CO this summer. He's asked his manager to keep him here until mid July. The new station wants him there by June 18. If the house doesn't sell by his transfer date, he'll go down and I'll stay here until the house sells.
Now the hard work starts with getting the house ready to go on the market, organizing, packing, throwing things out, etc. Sadly, most of my chickens and the ducks have to go.
sad.png
I have some that I'm going to ship down...Blue Orps from Tori, some of my project Lav. Orps from Beth G and scbatz that I hatched last fall, and some of my Silkies. In addition, we have to move 13 dogs, 4 horses, and 1 cat. I think I feel a headache coming on for the next few months.
roll.png

If anyone is interested in my chickens let me know...I have 7 Speckled Sussex and 7 EE's, all from MPC last Aug. 10 and all pullets. Two Silkie roos, a black from Bobbi Porto, and a beardless Lav. (Possibly my Cuckoo Silkie roo and black hen) Two black split Orp roos and a couple of blk split pullets. I also have 4 ducks available...a Khaki Campbell/Rouen drake, 2 Blue Swedish hens, and a "mutt" hen from the drake and one of the BS hens. She looks just like a BS.
On a good note, I started quilting again, done some knitting (which I'm still not very good at) and I'm looking at learning to make soap since the place we were getting our goat's milk soap closed and the family is taking some time away from the business. Maybe I can work it in to a homebased business down there.
wink.png

Thanks Tori. I'm actually ready for the change. The winters here have done me in. I look at it as a new adventure.
Merlin is going with me...I'll send you a pic of him. He's huge and looks intimidating but he's a wuss. One of the silkie roos went ninja on him and chased him all over the yard. Now he won't come out of the pen unless I'm out there to protect him.
roll.png
He sat in my lap the first time and told me all about it for 15 mins.

Back
Top Bottom