Albino Chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by spudchild, Aug 1, 2007.

1. spudchild

spudchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Nashville
    I had an egg hatch this morning from my two BBR OEGB's. I've hatched over 20 of their eggs in my incubator, and they all look exactly the same with the minor differences between girls and boys. My hen hasn't been with anyone other than her roo, yet one egg that hatched today has a pure white chick in it. It does not have pink eyes as a true albino would, but it is definately not black breasted red, either. Had this happened to anyone? Do you have any idea what could have caused this; recessive gene, etc?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

No idea, could be recessive or some point mutation or some other type of mutation in the color gene that caused it. Post a pic, it would be interesting... else somebody elses egg got in there!

3. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    lets see some pics [​IMG]

4. Bubba

Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    I can't wait for a picture either.
    Sounds like you have a leucistic. I need a picture to confirm it. Also test your bird for sensitivity to light and sound. Sometimes deafness can correlate with albinism. From your description your bird won't burn to a crisp in sunlight thou it will be sensitive.

Bubba

5. Chickenlover88

Chickenlover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    Well I hatched a birchen or some other color (not sure since she is only a few weeks old) from a white rooster and splash hen so it is possible.

6. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    its definitely NOT albino if the eyes are not pink but that is strange though. maybe a gene defect in color or the color pigment didn't present itself. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Bubba

Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    Please dont argue about what you dont know. There are many forms of albinism. NOT JUST THE PINK EYED KIND.

Bubba

PS Edit - It is very rare for humans to have the PINK eye or even red or purple. Our eyes are to large for it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  8. Unbridled

Unbridled Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    Moses Lake, WA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by