Albon for worms?!?

herrade

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 24, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
I called up my vet and asked for a wormer for my hens. I specifically noted that I had seen roundworms in the stool. They said no problem, come in and pick up the prescription.

When I got it home, I realized I had been given Albon, which I thought was used to treat coccidiosis. It's an antibiotic, right? That shouldn't work for roundworm.

Has anyone ever heard of using Albon to treat worms, or is my vet just incompetent/irresponsible?

To the best of my knowledge, Albon is an antiprotozoal agent used in the treatment of coccidiosis and possibly other intestinal disorders - not for the removal of worms. Dawg53 is well informed on poultry vermicides. You might want to drop him a PM.

I called up my vet and asked for a wormer for my hens. I specifically noted that I had seen roundworms in the stool. They said no problem, come in and pick up the prescription.

When I got it home, I realized I had been given Albon, which I thought was used to treat coccidiosis. It's an antibiotic, right? That shouldn't work for roundworm.

Has anyone ever heard of using Albon to treat worms, or is my vet just incompetent/irresponsible?

Sourland is correct. Albon is not a wormer. Your vet may have been busy or had a brain lapse.
Take the albon back and swap it out for panacur (fenbendazole.)

Be aware that many vets will also want to give Ivermectin for deworming.....very ineffective in chickens so don't let them talk you into that. You might be better off just going to the feed store and getting some Valbazen or Safeguard for goats. Might be cheaper then buying from the vet as well.

I'm very confused about all the information about meds, deworming, etc. I took my sick Buff Orpington to the vet due to diarrhea, etc because the feed store said NOT to use Corrid because if my chicken had coccid for as long as I noted her diarrhea and behavior change shed already be dead. Well, vet said she had that coccid in her poop and put her on Albon. Now some say Albon is good, others say it's useless. Does anyone know for sure?!!!!

I'm very confused about all the information about meds, deworming, etc. I took my sick Buff Orpington to the vet due to diarrhea, etc because the feed store said NOT to use Corrid because if my chicken had coccid for as long as I noted her diarrhea and behavior change shed already be dead. Well, vet said she had that coccid in her poop and put her on Albon. Now some say Albon is good, others say it's useless. Does anyone know for sure?!!!!
Albon (sulfadimethoxine) is a sulfa antibiotic that can be used to treat coccidiosis, and sometimes Albon and Corid are given together. How is your hen now?

-Kathy

Last edited:
So sorry, haven't been on in awhile. The drug worked. I gave to both to be safe but now I found this weird white worm in the dirt after a rain and I don't see any in poo or on chickens but I had sent you a message to ask if you know what it is and if I should worry about it (I couldn't figure out how to post on a thread). I'll post pic here too in case anyone can help me.

Hello! Anyone know how long I should treat two hens with Strike III 1 scoop mixed with 1 lb layer pellets? 5 days? 7 days? Doesn't say anywhere I can find!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom