Alfalfa bale?

Duckduckgoosie

Songster
May 27, 2021
Austin, Texas
I accidentally bought a bale of alfalfa instead of straw or hay.

Whoops. It’s in my chicken’s run. Is it ok to stay there for them to peck at? We have 8 week olds and adults, and two Runner ducks.

Mine love the alfalfa hay. When I have a bale of it, I tear off a sheet of it at a time and then throw it in the run. If you have a smaller flock, you can cut each of those sheet's in half. They tear it apart by themselves so that they can eat the leaves any any flower's they find in it.

Alfalfa is great for chickens! ITs high in protein, and a fantastic idea for right now when everyones flock is in flock down. A great foraging, and stimulation tool. I actually use it in my Herbal Forage Mix in my Etsy shop. The chickens love it!
What's the name of your Etsy shop?

Check out Feeds and Feeding book by Frank Morrison and read up on the advantages of Alfalfa for several classes of livestock . Plant it , pasture it in spring - summer and cut it late summer before frost to make hay for the winter .

Stems --- don't be concerned . The chickens will tell you when they need a new Flake . If you don't make compost or mulch of the stems you don't need chickens . The chickens will tell you when they need a new Flake . Did i say flake / yes i did . That's a piece off of the bale end about 3 inches thick .

Back
Top Bottom