Alfalfa

Quote:
I certainly believe that!

Why shouldn't they? For the past 25 years we been telling kids their opinions really matter...even when their "opinions" are nothing but a load of patoey!
roll.png

yuckyuck.gif

hhahahahha I did too!!
lau.gif

Quote:
LOL, the next time someone tells you that ask them, If it is toxic to chickens why do they put it in poultry feed?

Here is the first 7 ingredients in the feed that I feed. ( Link to Buckeye Nutrition )
INGREDIENTS: Ground Corn, Soybean Meal, Porcine Meat Meal, Wheat Middlings, Corn Gluten Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Animal Fat

Chris

Almost half the list they put up wasn't toxic. I did clarify..but oh well. People will usually believe what they want to believe whether it is true or not. lol

I know,
Its just like the "Chicken Treats Chart" There is stuff that is posted "bad" for chicken on that chart that don't make scene to me and is incorrect but, some people act like it is the Holy Grail.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
Almost half the list they put up wasn't toxic. I did clarify..but oh well. People will usually believe what they want to believe whether it is true or not. lol

I know,
Its just like the "Chicken Treats Chart" There is stuff that is posted "bad" for chicken on that chart that don't make scene to me and is incorrect but, some people act like it is the Holy Grail.

Chris

Just say it once on they will follow...

I was feeding the cubes after they had been rehydrated because I though they needed the short stems like with grass. So if I feed just a regular bale of alfalfa they will leave the big stems and just eat the leaves? I may switch now.....

I've long seen alfalfa on lists of plants that are toxic to chickens. Odd, since my chickens love to scratch around in alfalfa hay (we have horses) and alfalfa sprouts are a favorite treat! Go figure.
smile.png

For some reason this thread rang bells so I had a quick look for where I'd read the original material. Here's what I found:

'Lucerne can be included in diets for growing chickens but should be limited to no more than 5 percent. Above 5 percent, growth rate is depressed and this considered being due to saponin-like compounds present in lucerne.' See www.riverina.com.au/.../files/.../Page%20I146%20-%20Lucerne%20Hay.pdf

The
unsprouted seeds are apparently quite toxic in themselves.

When you look closely at many feeds you find evidence of minor toxicity... As you've all basically said, it probably only matters if you over-rely on one feed.

Hope this helps,
regards
Erica

Edited to add:
lucerne = alfalfa
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I certainly believe that!

Why shouldn't they? For the past 25 years we been telling kids their opinions really matter...even when their "opinions" are nothing but a load of patoey!
roll.png

Oh my God Giddy, don't get me started!

The results of the life choices made from of that kind of indoctrination are a horror to behold; a horror even to try to listen to the conversation that comes from the minds of those so indoctrinated...

Knowledge and wisdom matter--the stupid should remain silent and learn. (That's not directed at anyone here--it's just a general statement.) I am endeavoring to teach this to my seven-year-old.

Quote:
roll.png

Oh my God Giddy, don't get me started!

The results of the life choices made from of that kind of indoctrination are a horror to behold; a horror even to try to listen to the conversation that comes from the minds of those so indoctrinated...

Knowledge and wisdom matter--the stupid should remain silent and learn. (That's not directed at anyone here--it's just a general statement.) I am endeavoring to teach this to my seven-year-old.

bingo
thumbsup.gif

It's really funny you used the term stupid. Today on facebook I actually had to share a video..something about Katie Holmes and Star magazine..the reason I shared was the reporter stopped herself from using the word stupid..saying her very young son said they "can't" use that word anymore..they have to use the word silly..or something else....ummm silly means silly...stupid means stupid.

Indoctrination....banning more words when the word does not have an ugly meaning unless used in an ugly way...

Last year i fed all my chickens, turkeys and ducks with cracked wheat, corn and sunflower seeds mixed with chopped fresh alfalfa. And all of them died in november. By a knife
lol.png
and they spent the winter in the freezer. (i produce myself the cereals - about 20 acres and the alfalfa - 40+ acres of alfalfa)

Back
Top Bottom