algae in water container

Birdman18

Songster
14 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Queens, NY
Hi,
everytime i give water to the birds there always appears to be some sort of algae growing on the container one is green and theirs also this red film on the bottom of the container. Is this stuff harmful to the birds ? and how would you get rid of it? I end up washing it out but it just grows back.

Last edited:
always! green yes red no? I bleach mine every week and it still doesnt help-fresh water everyday too. I chalk it up to how hot it is and it will go away shortly when the weather cools down-July and August are the only months I have this problem.

The red on the bottom is just the sediment from the water I get it in mine too they get well water. No real way to get rid of the algae just need to scrape it off. It's not really harmful for them though.

There are different kinds of algae, some are good and some are bad. Algae can be red, but it can also be accumulation of environmental items.

Get a brush from the kitchen or cleaning area of the store ( do not use anything that's been used with chemicals) and use it on your waterers twice a week with a mix of water and 10% bleach, rinse well, refill.

Solid metal waterers help prevent algae growth. Also keeping the waterer out of the sun and off of the ground is helpful to keeping the water clean and clear! Put the waterer on a block of wood or a brick to prevent dirt, shavings, etc. from getting in it. A cool shady place helps prevent algae growth.

I use vinegar too. I change the water every day and every other day I take a tooth brush and some vinegar and scrape the waterer out good. and every week wash the wholed thing in dawn dish washing soap with bleach. BYC is so cool we all learn from each other.

You are asking about problems we all have with our waterers. Simplest solution is to change the water daily. Standing water will result in these problems. I keep a nylon scrubbie of some sort by the waterers, and scrub anything that feels slimy from them, before I refil. I have well water, so I also add either ACV, or a drop or two of bleach.

Organic apple cider vinegar is a simple way to limit problems. It is good for the chickens, but also helps prevent algae growth.

We have this idea that our water is clean and fresh, whatever its source. This is just not true, whether it is city or well. You will not be able to stop the green and red algae, or whatever they are, from growing back. The water needs to be changed daily, a least.

I wipe the inside of mine each day when I am rinsing it out, with a small handful of bermuda grass. That way no germs go to the next waterer. New waterer, new hunk of grass.

Thanks so much for the replies guys!!!!!!!!
wink.png

Would it be ok to use red wine vinegar? and should 2 Tablespoons per gallon of water be fine?

I haven't had any algae. But I'm also adding a tich of cider vinegar when I refill the waterers, and it's municipal water which is likely chlorinated a bit.

The waterers get refilled twice a day. Maybe frequency makes a difference, too?

Back
Top Bottom