Algaecide OK for quail drinking water?

Boppo

Crossing the Road
Feb 13, 2022
Eastern Massachusetts
Hi, guys, I have a quail set up with a water bucket that delivers through hoses to the birds' water cups. But I discovered that I have a heck ton of algae growing in there (I am not tall enough to see in easily, so it crept up on me). It's in a pretty solidly opaque white bucket with a totally opaque red lid.

Does anybody have experiences using an algaecide with quail drinking water?

Hi, guys, I have a quail set up with a water bucket that delivers through hoses to the birds' water cups. But I discovered that I have a heck ton of algae growing in there (I am not tall enough to see in easily, so it crept up on me). It's in a pretty solidly opaque white bucket with a totally opaque red lid.

Does anybody have experiences using an algaecide with quail drinking water?
I have a white 5 gallon food grade bucket, from either Home Depot or Lowe's, that I use for my auto water setup, but I anticipated the likelihood of algae and wrapped it in a black trash bag before I started using it. There's a gamma lid on it so there's very little exposure to light and I haven't had any issues with algae.
That said, I'd have to check the labeling on the algaecide to see if it had any cautions about using it with livestock/poultry then use my best judgement. It might be safer to clean the bucket and try the trash bag wrap. I didn't even open the bag, just unfolded it enough to cover the bucket then used packing tape to attach it, wrapped it around and more packing tape to secure the loose ends.

Thank you all! I will clean out the water bucket and tubing. I was thinking of paint, though the great god Google said you have to use solvent based paint to stick to plastic. I think the trash bag is an even easier solution!

I may try a little ACV, and hope the combination works in the future, and doesn't weird out the quail. Thanks so much!

Thank you all! I will clean out the water bucket and tubing. I was thinking of paint, though the great god Google said you have to use solvent based paint to stick to plastic. I think the trash bag is an even easier solution!

I may try a little ACV, and hope the combination works in the future, and doesn't weird out the quail. Thanks so much!
It was a contractor grade 30 some gallon trash bag, but even the typical yard waste bags would probably work.

Maybe wrap your bucket and hoses in black duct tape.

Back
Top Bottom