Algea in water

"When you hear on the news how piles of fish and other marine life wash up on shore during an algae bloom (like the green slush covering the shorelines in China), I have to wonder what an overgrowth of algae in a water dish can do to birds."

That is actually caused by algae choking out the oxygen in the water with nitrogen waste. Also algae blooms are caused by high temperatures which allows for less oxygen to be absorbed into the water which creates a nasty feedback loop. It's related to deoxygenation. Not any kind of toxin.

we have 2-3 rubber bowls in/out of the sun, around the chicken run. they tend to get algae. i scrub them every 2-3 days with a brush but haven't used anything except Dawn dish soap to clean once every 2 weeks. don't think it's working too well as i can see i'm losing the battle.

can i keep a small bottle of ACV outside, in the coop, for regular treatment of our water for algae? will the summer heat affect it's effectiveness?

Last edited:
I don't know if it will work on algae or not but worth a try, Put a little copper, (wire, pennies etc) in the reservoir.

It helps keep stuff from growing in there, and it shouldn't have any side effects.

Back
Top Bottom