Algerian Recipes needed

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Airehead012, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Airehead012

Airehead012 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2008
    DFW, TX
    I'm doing a school project for a country in Africa called Algeria. I need to get a nut-free recipe for Algeria that is easy to make and does not require exotic ingredients. I need the recipe to be pretty native to Algeria, not French. If anyone has any ideas or recipes I'd be grateful. My project isn't due until February so I have some time.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Hummus would be good for school, or a chicken tagine would be tasty. Think lemon and olives [​IMG]

3. Airehead012

Airehead012 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2008
    DFW, TX
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I actually found a recipe for both that and Ghribia so I may use either one depending on what my mom thinks!
    I'm still open to any other recipes you might have though!

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Hi Airehead,
    Couscous is the national dish of Algeria, and it is the easiest and most delicious thing to make!
    You can put anything you like on top, or serve it plain. I like it with chicken and vegetables.

5. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    You can also gt a bottle of rosewater at any arabic or that-part-o-the-world food store (Irani, Turkish, whatevah) and then any pastry you make, you just flavor it and voila! You are in Algeria now!

6. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Thanks Renee and Chickiebaby, for the additional suggestions. I'm Airehead's mom, and I'll be sure she checks in to get these. I suggested couscous, and she turned her nose up at me! [​IMG] Guess I'll really have to tell her "Listen to your mother, she actually knows something!" [​IMG] Ya'll stay warm and have a wonderful Christmas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by