1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All 3 eggs were duds

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dancingchicken77, Nov 16, 2008.

1. dancingchicken77

dancingchicken77 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Australia
    thanks so much for advice people gave me. turns out all 3 eggs were duds. btw today is day #23.

after taking advice from you guys and a breeder on the phone, i candled all 3 eggs once more. again the air sac was still high, there was a darkish shape but not huge. i pipped a little hole in the shell at the air sac end, to see if there was any sign of movement/life inside. all 3 eggs just had...well, egg. the darkish shadow was the yolk. :|

i'm really disappointed because it's been a long 23 days. however the breeder i spoke to had speculated that the darkish shape might have been a chick that died early, the the air sac still high, and so i feared that i might have killed the chicks with a poorly calibrated incubator. so i'm pretty happy that i didn't kill any chickies, and also i feel glad to know where i stand.

i have 3 silkie eggs which the breeder (different breeder) assured me are fertilised, so after calibrating the incubator i'm going to leap right into my next 21 day agony of waiting. [​IMG]

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Please don't be disappointed, and Im glad you're jumping right back in. Everyone has had lousy hatches; sometimes its conditions beyond our control, and sometimes its just learning the hard way about temperature and humidity. Keep trying, you'll get some chickies.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Sorry for your bad hatch !! Hope the next one is better [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

You must be so dissapointed after waiting so long. Any chance you can get a bigger Rcom?[​IMG] With a larger number, your chances are better of getting a better hatch. Get right back in the saddle. I love silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by