All 6 chicks with tails pointing down? Sick?

Vickilynn45

Songster
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
My 6 chicks are now seven weeks old, and tonight they are walking around in their coop with their tails pointed down. Last night was their first night in their coop and they really love it, they seemed very happy and active earlier. I'm worried I did something really wrong though and I feel terrible. I read online about using their run as a composting area, like putting grass clippings, leaves, mulch, etc. and along with their poop, it will eventually compost. So today I was mowing my lawn (which is not treated with chemicals in any way) and I threw some of the grass clippings in with them and they really were enjoying them. A few minutes later I decided to double check that it was ok to put the grass clippings in the run, and I googled it. I came across info that you shouldn't do it because it can cause them to eat too much grass and get impacted crop. Some of them have bulging crops and now I'm afraid I have hurt them with the clippings. As soon as I read that it could cause damage, I immediately went in and raked up all of the clippings and got it out of there.

I have googled this issue and all I'm coming up with is hens being egg-bound, which obviously is not our problem as they are only seven weeks old. Does someone have some advice for me???? I"m so worried

i am not sure about it ? we have hens that are between 8 and 16 weeks and we mow and through clipping's in there all the time and not to mention out coop has grass in it....so i am not sure on this one either....but i am going to keep checking back here to find an answer also :)

We had several pullets this year that held their tail down as well, I was concerned for a while, but they all seemed healthy, happy and normal other wise. They seemed to have just grown out of it and they are now about 3.5 months old. Hope this helps!

I could try yogurt then. Could it be too many treats? I usually give them a little something once or twice a day- like oatmeal, organic lettuce, etc. I'm really hoping that when I get up in the morning they are looking better. One thing that puzzled me today was that they didn't eat near as much food. Could that be due to the grass they ate this morning? I'm trying to remember if they ate much yesterday. I left their food and water in the coop now that they are in it, instead of the run, and they seemed to come in and out just fine to eat and drink. I was watching them all today, and noticed first that my BO was the one with her tail down and I thought that was so strange as she usually has a really perky tail. I also noticed that she seemed to lay down a bit more than normal, even when eating something.... When I went out to the coop tonight, they all had droopy tails.

i noticed the food was not going like it was and the diffrence was I was enjoying watching them enjoy there treats in am wheat bread and oatmeal then mid am spegetti noddles afternoon boiled egg heat of day some watermellon and then meal worms inbetween then you throw the grass in after i thought about it the treats are down to there wheat bread in am (they have had this from the time they where a week old) afternoon either noodles or watermelon or egg not all 3 and of course at night there yogart they will always have there yogart every night no if and or buts now there back to eating there food again

Well, I got up this morning and am happy to report that all their tails are back up, and crops are empty. Lesson learned!!!

Back
Top Bottom