All day egg song

Sunshade82

Songster
Sep 10, 2020
SW Utah
It’s been 7 hours and I’ve heard an egg song from the same chicken 30 times. It’s driving me crazy so I can only imagine how my neighbors feel. 😬
A little backstory...this same 11 month old Red sexlink had a problem with laying soft shelled eggs a couple weeks ago. I brought her inside when she was acting sick and once she passed her 2nd soft shell, she was back to normal and with the flock. Since then, I noticed a couple times that her shells were thinner than normal but still ok. Today her shell was so thin that it broke when it hit the ground (she lays off the roost idk why).
-She’s acting fine otherwise.
-they have oyster shell available.
-very limited treats if any.
Secured in coop/run
-today another hen has been chasing her (not normal)
-already laid her egg today (thin and broke)
Is there something else I should be doing? It’s getting REALLY loud over here... especially when the other chickens join in on the song 😂 and of course it’s Sunday so my neighbors are home all day to enjoy our barnyard symphony

11 months old could be a late bloomer.. Don't think it unusual.

Lawrence Welk - The Chicken Dance​

:lau
Forgot to add...she’s been laying since she was 4 months. She lays every day and has only missed a few. The last month she’s been dropping them off the roost before the sun comes up.
Aw I love Lawrence Welk! Reminds me of my grandparents...they used to dance in the crowd on that show ❤️

I have a couple girls who have been laying soft shelled eggs off the perch/in the nesting box on and off (one of them still looks like a ragged mess because, for some reason, she didn’t molt over the fall/winter :confused: ). I’d worry, but both hens have been acting like their normal selves. They, too, have access to oyster shells with cleaned/semi-crushed shells from their own eggs mixed in.
As for the egg song ... it’s the same as/very similar to the general distress call and in my experience, some girls will do it for no apparent reason. Chickens, at their essence, are drama queens :eek:.

Have ones that seem to go through a cycle.. and fairly old some of them. Lately about three eggs a day in the run or roost. Newbies I think.. about that same age as yours.. Watched Lawrence Welk every Sunday evening.. family time. Bubbly, a von and a two and a tree...:old

Last edited:
Many years ago, when I was working at a restaurant along an interstate highway, the Stars of the Lawrence Welk Show (no Mr. Welk, however) were staying at a nearby hotel. The piano player (not a big name) took a shine to me and had Joe Feeney, the Irish tenor, intentionally miss the band bus and coerce me into driving him to the next town so I'd come to the show. How could I say no? Ah, just a brief brush with greatness.

Past that, I go with the hens are drama queens theory. Mine not only sing when they're laying, they YELL when someone else is in the nest box they MIGHT want to lay in later. And, yes, there are plenty of nest boxes -- some are simply better than the identical ones next to them.

Sometimes, it sounds like I have 100 hens (not yet, but who knows?) in my yard. Fortunately, I'm in the country so I'm the only one they're driving crazy.

Well she finally stopped after everyone else was done laying for the day. Considering my EE laid around 4pm, that made for a loong day.😆
Maybe she’s feeling possessive over the nesting box that she never uses? I only have one for 5 chickens but it’s a large community one cause I read they’ll use the same one anyway. If it seems like a problem I can add another...just not another super cool roll away kind though 😃
I hope it isn’t a sign that she’s unwell. I wonder though, between her thin egg, eggsessive singing plus getting chased by the alpha today if maybe something is up and they can sense it?
Right now she’s acting fine and doesn’t seem to be a target from the alpha anymore. I’ll keep an eye on her and see 🤞🏼

Well she finally stopped after everyone else was done laying for the day. Considering my EE laid around 4pm, that made for a loong day.😆
Maybe she’s feeling possessive over the nesting box that she never uses? I only have one for 5 chickens but it’s a large community one cause I read they’ll use the same one anyway. If it seems like a problem I can add another...just not another super cool roll away kind though 😃
I hope it isn’t a sign that she’s unwell. I wonder though, between her thin egg, eggsessive singing plus getting chased by the alpha today if maybe something is up and they can sense it?
Right now she’s acting fine and doesn’t seem to be a target from the alpha anymore. I’ll keep an eye on her and see 🤞🏼
Add one more, odds are they will use the same.. but option is better than none. Maybe she'll stop crying.. Was married with children. Had many nests.. Removed half, now they prefer the two ground ones.. with decoy eggs. Can't make em' happy.. Like marriage. The alpha has had enough of the noise.. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.. It's a WWII reference if you don't know it.. Grease Gun.

Back
Top Bottom