All Flock as a boredom buster?

Jul 20, 2022
I live in South Dakota and we're just been through a number of weeks of snow. The girls don't like to go outside in snow, even with hay on top, unless the sun is shining. They don't like the typical boredom busters such as hanging cabbage. They do like it when I leave the main coop door open to allow more daylight so that they can kick around in the straw, doing their foraging thing.

Is it Ok to scatter All Flock feed around in the coop several times a day to give them something to do? I ask bc I'm concerned about fatty liver disease. I had a hen abruptly die overnight, not due to cold, and I wasn't able to get her body examined at the time. I had been giving extra treats (peanuts, sunflower seeds) and warm/moist regular layer feed (sometimes with a bit of peanut butter) to help them stay warm when the temps were very low. I've stopped all treats since she died just to be on the safe side.

However, I'm a bit worried the handfuls of All Flock might be a bad thing. Their regular food is layer feed. The All Flock has regular laying pellets plus a bit of corn, sunflower seeds, and other seeds I don't recognize.

Last edited:
can we see a picture of this all flock you're talking about? Based on your description, it sounds like scratch grains and not formulated all flock feed.
It's Homestead brand, but I no longer have the bag. A neighbor who works at a feed store donated it to me. I guess since there's corn in it I should stop giving it to them or take the corn pieces out?

I've never seen "All Flock" feed before so I didn't realize it wasn't supposed to have corn and other seeds in it.

I also have some scratch grains by the same company that look quite different. I'm trying to figure out how to put a couple pictures in here so that you can see the seeds.

It's Homestead brand, but I no longer have the bag. A neighbor who works at a feed store donated it to me. I guess since there's corn in it I should stop giving it to them or take the corn pieces out?

I've never seen "All Flock" feed before so I didn't realize it wasn't supposed to have corn and other seeds in it.
A small amount each day isn't a problem. If it's 10% or less of their diet per day I wouldn't bother picking anything out. 😊

All Flock is simply a term used for feed that is formulated for all stages of poultry and mixed poultry species flocks. It usually is 18-20% protein and can come in the form of crumbles, pellets or whole grain feed. Crumbles and pellets you would be able to throw on the ground without worry. However, any and all whole grain feeds should be wet into a mash to ensure the chickens are not just picking out the tastier less nutritious pieces.

Photo on 10-03-2023 at 2.04 PM.jpg

All Flock is simply a term used for feed that is formulated for all stages of poultry and mixed poultry species flocks. It usually is 18-20% protein and can come in the form of crumbles, pellets or whole grain feed. Crumbles and pellets you would be able to throw on the ground without worry. However, any and all whole grain feeds should be wet into a mash to ensure the chickens are not just picking out the tastier less nutritious pieces.
So then the All Flock maybe wouldn't be so good to use in the way I'm using it, eh? I can tell they are picking out their favorite things, tho a bit harder for them to find in all that hay. Just trying to give them something to do.
Based upon the responses here, seems like I should cut back and maybe pick out corn and some of the sunflower seeds.
Can you tell whether this picture of the All Flock is consistent with feed that is formulated for all stages of poultry/poultry species? I did read the bag and that's essentially what the bag said, but I know nothing about this company and want to be very careful with what I feed them. Just trying to make sure this is what All Flock should look like.

Thanks so much for your help. This group is a life-saver!

Back
Top Bottom