All flock feed recommendations.

Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Ok, I have 7 chicks (6.5 weeks old) and 6 fully grown hens. They are almost fully integrated with each other. Currently I am feeding layer feed to the big hens, and chick feed to the pullets. Are there any all flock feeds that are recommended? My preferences are pellets, organic, and good for hens and pullets. Thanks in advance! Any help is greatly appreciated! I am planning to fully integrate them tomorrow, as they are currently mingling and doing great.

(also, is it ok if big hens eat the chick feed? Even if it’s just a bit?)
CC5C0645-6B1F-4ECC-A332-64ACF47E1BA8.jpeg

(One of the big hens eating chick feed 😬 )

Big hens absolutely can eat chick feed. Better for them to do that than for chicks to eat layer pellets.

There are a number of commercial "All Flock" type options which are available pelletized. I used Nutrena "Naturewise" label "All Flock" in the 40# bags for a while, till my flock got too large and they started eating me out of house and home. Its "Natural" and non-GMO, but not Organic.

Compare the label in terms of crude protein, fats, fibers, calcium, etc, it looks a lot like their Nutrena Naturewise Starter/Grower but for slightly higher protein. Both have more protein, much less calcium than the Layer Feed from the same brand and label. Typically, "All Flock" has an increased amount of trace minerals for ducks and geese as well.

Plenty of people use the Purina Flock Raiser Pellets, 50# bag as well. Also not organic. They do have an Organic line, I see it stocked occasionally.

Both Nutrena and Purina are readily available in your typical TSC, Tractor King, etc.

Nutrena has its "NatureSmart" label which is Organic, but you would end up using the Starter/Grower, they don't have an All Flock, even though the crude protein 20%, 6% fiber, and 2.5% fat are the same as the All Flock in their naturewise line - also, its a crumble, not a pellet.

I've not used it, and haven't seen it stocked locally, but "Scratch and Peck" is popular as an organic feed choice - Chewy.com, etc if its not available to you in store.

Hope that helps.

and free choice oyster shell on the side for your laying hens if you do transition to All Flock/Flock Raiser (as many of us on BYC typically recommend). The chicks, and any rooster you might add will try it - they explore the world with their beaks after all - but not needing the extra calcium, they won't continue to eat it.

Big hens absolutely can eat chick feed. Better for them to do that than for chicks to eat layer pellets.

There are a number of commercial "All Flock" type options which are available pelletized. I used Nutrena "Naturewise" label "All Flock" in the 40# bags for a while, till my flock got too large and they started eating me out of house and home. Its "Natural" and non-GMO, but not Organic.

Compare the label in terms of crude protein, fats, fibers, calcium, etc, it looks a lot like their Nutrena Naturewise Starter/Grower but for slightly higher protein. Both have more protein, much less calcium than the Layer Feed from the same brand and label. Typically, "All Flock" has an increased amount of trace minerals for ducks and geese as well.

Plenty of people use the Purina Flock Raiser Pellets, 50# bag as well. Also not organic. They do have an Organic line, I see it stocked occasionally.

Both Nutrena and Purina are readily available in your typical TSC, Tractor King, etc.

Nutrena has its "NatureSmart" label which is Organic, but you would end up using the Starter/Grower, they don't have an All Flock, even though the crude protein 20%, 6% fiber, and 2.5% fat are the same as the All Flock in their naturewise line - also, its a crumble, not a pellet.

I've not used it, and haven't seen it stocked locally, but "Scratch and Peck" is popular as an organic feed choice - Chewy.com, etc if its not available to you in store.

Hope that helps.

and free choice oyster shell on the side for your laying hens if you do transition to All Flock/Flock Raiser (as many of us on BYC typically recommend). The chicks, and any rooster you might add will try it - they explore the world with their beaks after all - but not needing the extra calcium, they won't continue to eat it.
Thank you! I will see if my local feed store has those types! It’s ok if it’s not organic too, it’s just a small preference of mine, but not a big deal. I’m also glad it’s ok if the bug chickens snack on a bit of the chick feed. Thank you again! This was very helpful!

Happy to have been able to help. Many others here would say the same, I was just the first to respond. Good luck in your search for good food for your birds, I've found prices can vary quite widely.

Oh, and the manufacturers have programs - sign up on their web page - that will get you coupons a few times a year. Usually $2 or $3 off a 50# bag. Its not nothing, and it costs you an email addy to sign up, a few minutes of your time.

also, at my local feed store, they may have Payback Organic Pullet Developer Pellets. I know they carry the Payback brand. I have tried their Layer Feed and it worked... would grower pellets be similar to all flock? Or is it different.

Happy to have been able to help. Many others here would say the same, I was just the first to respond. Good luck in your search for good food for your birds, I've found prices can vary quite widely.

Oh, and the manufacturers have programs - sign up on their web page - that will get you coupons a few times a year. Usually $2 or $3 off a 50# bag. Its not nothing, and it costs you an email addy to sign up, a few minutes of your time.
I might sign up!

Also, another feed I found, that I know my local farm and feed has is this
FB89932E-D165-430C-A6B3-CCEA0948A251.jpeg

(I found the bag in the shed (it was empty) and I think I used it for past chicks.) would it work?

Back
Top Bottom