All-flock feed vs layer feed, and brands!

Thank you. There's a lot more to chicken feed than I imagined. One more thing...mine aren't laying yet. Should I put out oyster shell anyways or wait until we're official layers?
It doesn't hurt to put it out. Expect the birds will try it, then ignore it till they need it. There's lots of variation in calcium needs among birds, but in any event, don't expect to go thru a bag quickly. I don't use 50# a year. My flock is in my sig, below.

I kind of have the same question. So I am have adult chickens and chicks and I do plan on breeding silkies so I will always have chicks. I recently changed my feed from Purina flock raiser to Dumor chick feed or something. It says it's to be feed to chicks until laying but would it be okay if I fed this to my adults?

I kind of have the same question. So I am have adult chickens and chicks and I do plan on breeding silkies so I will always have chicks. I recently changed my feed from Purina flock raiser to Dumor chick feed or something. It says it's to be feed to chicks until laying but would it be okay if I fed this to my adults?
YES. Just be sure to provide fresh water, grit, and a calcium source in sperate dishes.

I'd feed growing birds a different feed, or at least use more of something better, for those pullets. 16% protein just isn't really best for those growing birds, and the label also tells you that. Mature birds aren't growing pullets!
There are so many choices out there, and what's available fresh differs depending on where you shop, so it's confusing.
Mary

I'd feed growing birds a different feed, or at least use more of something better, for those pullets. 16% protein just isn't really best for those growing birds, and the label also tells you that. Mature birds aren't growing pullets!
There are so many choices out there, and what's available fresh differs depending on where you shop, so it's confusing.
Mary
20 percent, however, is considered a good, solid food for that age correct? Looking at Kalmbach Flock Maker...

Hello,

little confused on what to exactly feed my chickens. I just got my birds a couple days ago and want to make sure I'm giving the gals the best life. All birds are right around laying age with some being a couple weeks younger than the others.

reading a couple threads on here it seems the general consensus is that food with 18-20% protein is desired but I have seen people feeding layer food which is only 16%. Is this a personal preference type of thing?

Also was reading that I should give some grit and oyster supplement too. Is this just a small handful mixed in with their food?

Right now I have layer feed that I picked up from local feed store but will be switching over to more all flock style for my growing birds. Would it be ok to mix the two bags together? admittedly I should of researched food a little but more but thought chicken food was chicken food.

reading a couple threads on here it seems the general consensus is that food with 18-20% protein is desired but I have seen people feeding layer food which is only 16%. Is this a personal preference type of thing?
16 is the minimum. Protein costs money, so layer feed is typically the cheapest feed one can get while meeting basic, minimum requirements of confined high laying hens.

Also was reading that I should give some grit and oyster supplement too. Is this just a small handful mixed in with their food?
Seperate bowls. Don't mix them

16 is the minimum. Protein costs money, so layer feed is typically the cheapest feed one can get while meeting basic, minimum requirements of confined high laying hens.

Seperate bowls. Don't mix them
Don't mix oyster/grit with food or don't mix any of them? So I would need three separate feeding spots? just want to make sure I don't mess their food up.

Don't mix oyster/grit with food or don't mix any of them? So I would need three separate feeding spots? just want to make sure I don't mess their food up.
Don't mix oyster shells with grit or food. And don't mix grit with oyster shells or food. Different feeds can be mixed

Back
Top Bottom