All four possible cockrels

I meant to look into that. What do the Pullets look like?
Now I say this very hesitantly but I think hens of either cross are usually fairly light in color with very little light barring. I’m very very hesitant to say this though sine I’ve never owned either cross and have only seen pictures. The fact that the rooster is a cross also complicates things some.
Since these should be sex links pics from shortly after hatch might actually be helpful. Someone who has actually had either cross will be much more helpful than my possibly incorrect stumblings. My only real experience is with pure BRs, BR/Australorp and BR/RIR which are birds of a different feather literally.

Now I say this very hesitantly but I think hens of either cross are usually fairly light in color with very little light barring. I’m very very hesitant to say this though sine I’ve never owned either cross and have only seen pictures. The fact that the rooster is a cross also complicates things some.
Since these should be sex links pics from shortly after hatch might actually be helpful. Someone who has actually had either cross will be much more helpful than my possibly incorrect stumblings. My only real experience is with pure BRs, BR/Australorp and BR/RIR which are birds of a different feather literally.

I was nervous because all 4 had spot on the top of the heads and I thought I remembered reading that meant male. I think I confused myself because when I looked at chick photos of my full bred BPR they had similar heads. So then I wondered if the mix had anything to do with it. Then I wanted to read about the sexlinks.

I am having a hard time selling this batch of chicks anyway so I am sure all will be revealed eventually. It's all rather fascinating.

I am hatching Marans right now and can't wait to see what kind of offspring those mixes will eventually produce.

I wish I had more room for breeding projects. 🤣

From what i gathered with my own BR cross babies, any barred rock mom and non barred dad will produce sex links. Barred rock moms can only give their barred genes to their male offspring. So if dad don't have barred genes to contribute, only the male offspring will have the barring (and the spot on the head). Full BR babies can both have spots because the males and the females will bath get the barred gene from both mom and dad. Even though full BR females can have spots on the head too, they tend to be less prominent than the males.

Back
Top Bottom