All hens?

We have the chickens! I took a bunch of pictures but most of them turned out blurry because they just wouldn’t stay still. I have attached the better ones and numbered them all. #1 and 2 are about 3 months old; 3 and 4 are very small, I would say less than 2 months but maybe they are just small breed? 5 and 6 are 2 months old. From the comb color #4 seems like a cockerel but the body shape and feet really look like hens. Fingers crossed!!!

Boy it sure would help to know the breed and ages of all of them for sure.

If as you think 3 & 4 are younger they could both be male just by the pinkness in #3s comb. My gut tells me they're older than that though and that #3 is a pullet. I am pretty certain 4 is a cockeral but it is hard to say for sure. You could repost pictures in a week or two.

Also what are the temperatures near you? If they're very hot it can make the combs appear more red at an earlier age.

#5 & 6 appear older than 8 weeks to me I'm not sure how much older it's hard to say in photos. If they are 8 weeks I'm very suspect of number 6 especially. I've never owned a chanteceler personally but have owned other pea combed breeds.

Also number 5 may be a Cornish mix but definitely doesn't look pure. It's the wrong color and the wrong comb.

Boy it sure would help to know the breed and ages of all of them for sure.

If as you think 3 & 4 are younger they could both be male just by the pinkness in #3s comb. My gut tells me they're older than that though and that #3 is a pullet. I am pretty certain 4 is a cockeral but it is hard to say for sure. You could repost pictures in a week or two.

Also what are the temperatures near you? If they're very hot it can make the combs appear more red at an earlier age.

#5 & 6 appear older than 8 weeks to me I'm not sure how much older it's hard to say in photos. If they are 8 weeks I'm very suspect of number 6 especially. I've never owned a chanteceler personally but have owned other pea combed breeds.

Also number 5 may be a Cornish mix but definitely doesn't look pure. It's the wrong color and the wrong comb.

Oh wow, you sure know a lot about chickens!

I was a little surprised when they told me 5 was a Cornish because I knew the color wasn’t right! It’s probably a chantecler Cornish mix? No idea...

We are having some heat waves here which is so so rare for my area! The humidity has been 30C+ for weeks! I didn’t know that could affect their comb color! Could it be the cause of red face as well? So much I don’t know and I’m reading everyday about them!

Thank you so much! This forum has been nothing but a blessing!

#4, the bird with the white belly and black, is very likely a cockerel. None of the rest do at this time. The white Chantecler is a possibility-- they have those flat cushion combs that don't show much, even in roosters. But I agree with chickendreams-- most of these birds look quite a bit older than 8 weeks, and if that is the case, then the Chantecler is probably a female. I hope so! Reposting in a couple of weeks is a good idea for any you remain suspicious of at that point.

At ten weeks I would say 4 is definitely a cockeral.

3 I'm guessing pullet but could go either way.

Also thank you for the nice things you said.

I try to learn as much as I can about chickens and I'm always still learning.

In fact I just learned in the last couple days that heat can make combs appear more pink. Then I thought about it and I realized I already knew it. After all people flush when hot.

I just had never voiced it aloud before.

Oh darn! #4 is so pretty! I really hoped it’s a hen! Oh well... as long as some of them are hens I’m happy lol

Everyone here has been amazingly helpful! Thank you! I will post some more pictures in a couple of weeks!

Is it because of the comb size and color? I will take a closer look tomorrow when I get there. Will pay extra attention!
Can't see some of them very well, but you have possible cockerels. The black and white once below the roost in the first picture is one possible cockerel. The black and white one on the right in the second picture is another possible cockerel.

I am not saying they definitely are cockerels-- just that they are ones to keep an eye on. Better pictures could help us say for sure one way or the other.

Back
Top Bottom