All moved into new home

Larry in Hawaii

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2015
Big Island, Hawaii
We put the rest of the 17 - 7 week old chicks in their new coop and run. I added on to the coop where we have 5 older hens and another run for the chicks until they get larger and then all together. 11 Leghorns were placed in there two days ago and late last night we added 7 black stars into the coop. Little by little the are all getting along, so I think everything will be fine. The grown hens in the attached run are having a ball watching the chicks run around. Gonna miss having watching the grow from babies, so I placed a lawn chain in the run where I set and play with them.

Sounds like you are well on the way to having a happy, harmonious flock. Great job!

If you don't mind a suggestion, I think you'd find it will not only speed up the integration process, but will add a lot to the entertainment quotient.

All you need to do is add several 5 x 7inch openings in the chick pen so they can zip in and out of the adult pen to begin interacting with them. It's super fun to watch the chicks race at warp speed between their pen and the adults', frustrating any attempts at pursuit.

You may even need to install a seat belt on that chair of yours to keep you from falling out of it when you get to laughing so hard at the chicks' antics.

We weren't sure when we could cut the holes in the fence...I know the adults watch the chicks run about and they have started to limber up as well. I'll bet I spent an hour setting in the chair inside the run yesterday. Not long after I sat down near one of the roosts, one chick decided it was time to jump up and say Hi! She sat there for a long time getting petted...the leghorns are really tame. I will cut some holes in the fence to see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom