All my chickens are dying! Help?!

mickyc

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 7, 2013
Ireland
I was given 4 birds to start off, 2 hens, 2 roos. I noticed one hen limping, she was dead the next morning. These birds were all hatched together in July. A few weeks later the other hen died.
I then bought 4 mature hens, they were 2yrs old and had stopped laying for the winter. Last week one if them died? A few days later another one was dead? This morning a hen and one if the roos is dead and the remaining hen looks like it won't last the day! I have one healthy roo out if all my chickens?!
I'm new to chicken keeping, but have a new hen house that can hold 12 birds, Ive a huge run for them, fox proofed. They are feed every day with corn and crumb and I keep the water feeder topped up. None of the dead birds look like they have been attacked?
Is my last roo a serial killer?! I am bewildered and confused, can anyone offer an explanation or advice on this matter?

This is my henhouse and enclosure ...

Can you describe any symptoms your birds showed before dying? Paralysis?

How are you feeding them? Could they have gotten into spoiled food?

Were they immunized for Marek's?

Do they have access to grit and oyster shell?

Are you giving them any "supplements" or "natural treatments?"

Symptoms: limp, motionless
Feed daily one scoop of either crumb feed or corn feed
Grit from the soil, no oyster shell
No supplements
I don't know about immunisations?

How do you know one scoop is enough for them? As in where did you come up with that as the correct amount of food required for maintaining good body weight etc?

Do you know they are all getting their amount of the scoop and that the healthy rooster isn't eating part of their share as well?

If that is what has happened and they aren't able to later get enough to make up for it because you don't keep food readily available to them I imagine that could cause the symptoms and eventually death.

Last edited:
I was told to feed them one scoop by the farmer that gave me them. They are fine one day, dead the next?!

Most people allow them to self regulate their feed, they won't eat till they get fat but could slowly die of malnutrition if not enough food.
Birds are very good at hiding symptoms until its almost too late to do anything.

How big is the scoop to how many birds?
For example I throw about 8 handfuls of scratch mix to my seven birds in the morning but they still come back for their crumbles on and off all through the day.

Last edited:
Appps - I was feeding them about a pint of feed, once a day between 6 birds, but the peck away all day in the grass, eating bugs, well they did when they were alive!

Feeding them chicken feed (crumb) and organic corn feed. The enclosure is 30m square. They were not kept as free range before I took them... The last hen is now dead

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom