All my chickens have died!

I had 6 laying hens. 2-3 years old. They showed no signs of illness, were eating and drinking regularly, and didn't seem off or lethargic. No signs of parasites as far as I could tell. Out of nowhere, they all dropped dead, one by one, over the course of a few weeks. I lost my last 2 the other night, found them laying in a corner, one on top of the other, in their chicken run. I tried figuring out what was going on over this time period, but they just kept dropping. What could have caused this? And what can I do to prevent this from happening again before I get more chicks later this month?

I'm following this rather closely as many wild waterfowl have turned up positive here in NC not far from me.

I've read often the first sign of avian influenza is a drastic drop in egg production. Deaths can start in as little as 24 hours after exposure in chickens. It can go through a flock of chickens quickly. Ducks can die but are often asymptomatic.

Hopefully this is not what caused your birds to die but a necropsy would be best.

As for clean up and waiting times this is good information.

Defend the Flock Program

Would probably be best to do a good clean up regardless of the cause.

Wishing you the best!

Look at your feed today, to see if there could be a funny odor or blue-green mold. It can happen overnight if there is any moisture or rain that got into feed container. Mold poisoning can kill quickly. Also look for anything poisonous in their yard ranging area. Sorry for your loss. Most state vet labs are open M-F and bodies must be kept cold but not frozen to transport or overnight ship them, and arrive on a weekday.

Back
Top Bottom