All My Chicks are Missing!!!!

sweetleo3333

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
I came home last night and my pin had been broken into. The fence was ripped down and all 8 of my chicks are missing. Not one feather to be found in the yard or in the pin. I'm thinking my dog Ocea did it. She was acting very guilty, hiding under the deck.
How do I get my dog to stop killing chickens? I just hate that Ocea is a chicken killer. I miss my chicks!!
barnie.gif

have you looked up? I had my rottie get into my chicken coop and after the chickens attacked her FACE they flew up into the pine trees in my yard! i didnt even think to look above my head! you never know!

I think if your dog had killed them, you would find their bodies. He wouldn't have eaten them, feathers and all. Check around and see if they are hiding. I would keep the dog away from the chickens. Training a good chicken dog takes time and alot of work.

Dogs do not feel guilt. Your dog is worried because you are upset and is trying to appease you. That behavior means absolutely nothing about the condition of your chickens, nor does it mean that the dog feels guilty.

Sorry to hear about your chickens. Dogs tend to look guilty if they feel any anxiety. One of the tricks we use at our rescue and this only works for dogs who are not a water dog bred is we use a water bottle full of water the dogs who dislike water tend to understand this is a form of punishment and I have several who will try to hide their faces when the water bottle comes out. It is possible the dog scared the chickens and they have scattered have you tried putting the dog away from the pen area and maybe putting food down for the chickens.

if your dog is a substantial breed ( 40lbs or more ) use a shock collar. They can be set to different levels of intensity. You cant have a dog that will kill chickens if your going to have chickens. It is irresponsible to put the birds in that situation. Although a shock collar seems harsh, it is humane if used correctly and gets the message through in most cases on the first one or two shocks.

No feathers? How many chickens? Could your dog really eat them without a trace.....I don't think so. Just because the dog looked guilty does not mean it is. Maybe the dog was hiding from whatever got in to the pen?

I think some more info is in order here. How old were the chicks and what kind of dog is it? This doesn't sound like a dog attack to me, unless they were brand new hatchlings I highly doubt a domestic dog would eat 8 chicks without a single trace, again unless they were very small. I would check the pen again for tracks, a dog that tore down a pen will have left some form of evidence. Do you have fox or coyote in your area?

If however if was your dog, you will probably have better success just building a secure pen that cannot be broken into that easily. You might be able to teach your dog not to eat them but it will take a great deal of time and patience.

Back
Top Bottom