All My Eggs in One Basket

lhousesoccer

Chirping
Feb 26, 2010
Can't quite figure out my flock. 9 laying hens, 8 nest boxes, all the same dimensions, with the same bedding. And yet they all lay their eggs in just one. Weirdos. Also, got a new Roo!

20110601-02-AllEggsinOneBasket.jpg

20110601-01-NewBantyRooster.jpg

mine do the same thing on the ggs, but at the moment I've got one broody that has claimed the all great box, and she's getting up for hte other to lay and claiming them all. LOL No idea why, I thought all chickens choose a box, I havbe like 40 in the coop and they use one! Hate the shavings too, lol they chose the one with the dirt and poop to use, lol.

Pretty Roo what kind is he?

That's a very good question. I think it's some kind of cross. I got him from a farm down the road from my house - they didn't want him any more. I think it's some sort of Banty - he's about half the size of my hens (wyandotts, orpingtons, Rhode Islands) .... I think that's about as big as he's gonna get. My wife says I need to build a little ladder and put it in the run so he can "do his thing".
wink.png

That is very common, they like sharing. Sometimes I will even have two cram into one box at the same time. They are so cute.

i have 10 nesting boxes and my leghorns lay in them.. However my red sexlinks want nothing to do with the nesting boxes and lay in the corner of the coop then cover the eggs with hay.

My chickens can't make up their minds where to lay, it constantly changes. At first it was in separate boxes as I expected. Then I started finding strays laying in the run. Then they all conspired and hid them under the coop (it's raised up). Now they're on this kick of putting them all in one corner of the coop, not even in the nest box. I don't know if they're trying to confuse me and attempting to hide the eggs or what. Doesn't really concern me though, I find them easily enough. Every day is like an Easter Egg Hunt, that's all.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom