All Natural Herbal Remedies and Recipes for Chickens

this is a very interesting thread! if i can ask, how did everyone learn about herbs? is there a fav book or site you'd recommend?

Hi I'd like to start a herb garden of useeful herbs for myelfand chickens I will be getting soon. Could anyone make suggestions on useful easy to grow herbs that wont take up a lot of space. I already have lavender, rosemary.

This was posted in the Natural Chicken Keeping thread just days ago really good for quick reference. Great thread idea :) keep em coming. Couldn't get red font to work on IPad

Basil - antibacterial, mucus membrane health
Catnip - sedative, insecticide
Cilantro - antioxidant, fungicide, builds strong bones, high in Vitamin A for vision and Vitamin K for blood clotting
Dill - antioxidant, relaxant, respiratory health
Fennel -laying stimulant
Garlic - laying stimulant
Lavender - stress reliever, increases blood circulation, highly aromatic, insecticide
Lemon Balm - stress reliever, antibacterial, highly aromatic, rodent repellent
Marigold - laying stimulant
Marjoram - lay stimulant
Mint (all kinds) - insecticide and rodent repellent
Nasturtium - laying stimulant, antiseptic, antibiotic, insecticide, wormer
Oregano - combats coccidia, salmonella, infectious bronchitis, avian flu, blackhead and e-coli
Parsley - high in vitamins, aids in blood vessel development, laying stimulant
Peppermint - anti-parasitic, insecticide
Pineapple Sage - aids nervous system, highly aromatic
Rose Petals - highly aromatic, high in Vitamin C
Rosemary - pain relief, respiratory health, insecticide
Sage - antioxidant, anti-parasitic
Spearmint - antiseptic, insecticide, stimulates nerve, brain and blood functions
Tarragon - antioxidant
Thyme - respiratory health, antibacterial, antioxidant, anti-parasitic

Fresh or dried herbs in your nesting boxes not only work as insecticides, but also have anti-bacterial properties, and can act as natural wormers, anti-parasitics, insecticides, rodent control, stress relievers and laying stimulants. They will help a laying hen feel safe and relaxed while she is sitting, and calm a broody hen, as well as repel rodents, flies and other parasites. Plus they look so pretty !

I haven't read thru the whole thread...and maybe I shoud have... but I was wondering about garlic mixed with rosemary for the chickens. It seems to work on worming our hogs, and think it might be good for the chickens, too??? I have already used the garlic/cayenne/vinegar mix on the chickens and that seemed to stem the tide if coccidiousis (sp?) But I need to give them another round and was wondering if the rosemary was good for chickens or not.

Hi everyone - Just wondering if these recipes for chickens would also be suitable and safe for quails too? Thank you and I'm learning as much as i can right ow before I get my quails soon...I'm a newbie be gentle with me.
wee.gif

Also what are your main problems to be on the lookout for regarding Quails? Any main problems....my main fear is they will have some problem and I will not know it and eat the affected ones an get sick....I plan on eating them and their eggs.

Blessings,
Misty

Wow! 4 months and NO ACTION!

I was remembering that quite a while ago we were discussing the use of Oregano in our birds' feed as a preventative.

I was wondering if any of you could tell me how much is a good amount and for how long? We're coming into a weather change here and I want to head off any problems if I can.

I have no idea about Quail unfortunately, sorry.

I should add that when I have made up herbal mixtures for the birds I leave regular food out too so if they don't want to eat it they have another choice.
I did use rosemary though and it worked.

I haven't read thru the whole thread...and maybe I shoud have... but I was wondering about garlic mixed with rosemary for the chickens. It seems to work on worming our hogs, and think it might be good for the chickens, too??? I have already used the garlic/cayenne/vinegar mix on the chickens and that seemed to stem the tide if coccidiousis (sp?) But I need to give them another round and was wondering if the rosemary was good for chickens or not.
I was also going to suggest oregano.

I was able to go to the local "health food store" and purchase a lb. package of organic (Frontier) oregano for much less than purchasing it by the little bottle. (I often get the spices and herbs by the lb from them. There is a discount for getting the whole lb.) I repackage it into canning jars and vaccum seal them and put them away in a dark place until I'm ready to use them.

In approximately 4-5 cups of wet feed (I ferment mine) I stir in about 2 Tablespoons after I've dipped it out of the feed bucket (I don't ferment it in the feed, just stir it in when I'm going to feed it.)

I probably add oregano about once every 2 weeks; sometimes more. I know other folks that feed it all the time.

If you crush in a few cloves of garlic, the hen house smells like an Itallian feast!

Back
Top Bottom