All Natural Herbal Remedies and Recipes for Chickens

Hi, giving this thread a bump as there is some great information in here for natural chicken keeping methods. I am in Colorado and we use herbs medicinally on us, the flock and our dogs. When we got our baby chicks and did the butt check for pasty butts every night on 28 chicks, we used a Calendula Salve I had made and this helped with the pasty butt issue a lot. It is a great skin herb and helped the girls heal quicker. Here are some of the things I have in process....

From left to right

Nettles - Olive Oil extraction
The base for all my salves, hemp oil and coconut oil, I had it stored in the cabinet until I could actually make some of these herb recipes.
Elecampane - alcohol extraction, that is not for the animals but for us. Great for asthma, bronchitis, etc. opens the bronchial air ways

The two jars that are stacked - the top one is Calendula oil extraction, and the bottom is nettles in Olive oil.

I was waiting on the Calendula oil to finish some more salve, now that it has sat for a couple weeks, it was strained and now it is ready to use.

Great thread, let's see if ex can keep it going now....

:thumbsup

You might want to check out the Natural Chicken Keeping thread too.  We focus on PREVENTION but sometimes treatments are necessary....  

There are many immune-strengthen/supportive herbs that help keep us from having to treat after the fact, in addition to good husbandry methods as well.  Hope to see you there :D

Thanks, I didn't mention the preventative stuff we do, I ferment organic non-gmail, soy, corn free feed, ex make our own farmers cheese and that is apart of the regime, use DE for prevention I. The coop and run, I make my own coop cleaner from citrus peels and white wine vinegar. I just was reminded about the use of squash and pumpkins as a preventative de wormer for chickens, I sprouts seeds and nuts. We have an organic veggie and medicinal herb garden, believe in permaculture, we compost and recycle as much as possible. Lol. I will check out the thread!

I really like this thread and prefer to use prevention.

I will check out the natural chicken keeping thread too.  Thanks Leah's Mom.

I am going to post this on a few of the boards because I really feel like some natural miracle has occured on our small farm. We are certified organic so if we wormed with a synthetic wormer, we would lose certification for our birds. Most other farms just cull wormy birds, but we thought we'd try something out of the box and it worked! Our fecal float test came back negative for parasites and ova.

These are not the measurements we used, but the ratio is the same. I assume all of you don't have 100 chickens. We got all of it from Mountain Rose Herbs

1/2 cup Myrrh gum powder

2 cups ginger root powder
1 cup Rosemary
1 cup basil
1 cup thyme

We also ferment their food. I am sure that helped boost their natural defenses. For 2.5 gallons of fermented feed, I sprinkled 3 ounces per day of this mix over the top, as they were eating. Did this for 3 weeks
clap.gif

I am going to post this on a few of the boards because I really feel like some natural miracle has occured on our small farm. We are certified organic so if we wormed with a synthetic wormer, we would lose certification for our birds. Most other farms just cull wormy birds, but we thought we'd try something out of the box and it worked! Our fecal float test came back negative for parasites and ova.

These are not the measurements we used, but the ratio is the same. I assume all of you don't have 100 chickens. We got all of it from Mountain Rose Herbs

1/2 cup Myrrh gum powder

2 cups ginger root powder
1 cup Rosemary
1 cup basil
1 cup thyme

We also ferment their food. I am sure that helped boost their natural defenses. For 2.5 gallons of fermented feed, I sprinkled 3 ounces per day of this mix over the top, as they were eating. Did this for 3 weeks
clap.gif

so how often would you worm?

@123farm

Did you have a confirmed worm problem (by fecal) that made you do the worming?

caf.gif

I, personally, do NOT routinely worm for health reasons. So far I have never wormed and would only do it if I had a confirmation by fecal that it was needed (unless otherwise obvious).

@123farm

Did you have a confirmed worm problem (by fecal) that made you do the worming?

caf.gif

I, personally, do NOT routinely worm for health reasons. So far I have never wormed and would only do it if I had a confirmation by fecal that it was needed (unless otherwise obvious).
We did! We had confirmed round worms by visual first and then fecal float test. Confirmed clear by fecal float test as well. The vet also told me they do not recommend worming unless a confimred heavy load is present.

This is the first time we have ever done it. We saw large round worms in their poo, thus indicating a heavy load was probably present. Took a fecal sample to the vet for a fecal float test to confirm which parasites we were dealing with.

Respiratory Tea

3 tsp-Astragalus root
1 tsp lavender
2 tsp chamomile
2 tsp nettle
1 tsp peppermint
In a med saucepan bring 5 cups of water to a boil with the astragalus root, boil for 3 mins. Take it off the burner and add other herbs and cover. Let it sit 5-15 mins. The longer you let it sit the stronger it sits. It is important to cover the pot to keep the essential oils in. the oils hold the benefits of the herbs. Strain the mixture into a container. I fill a gallon waterer with the tea and serve warm ( not hot, just warm) They love it, I have had no problem with them drinking it. It is usualyy one before the plain water is. I serve this tea for 5-7 days. Rule of thumb I go by is to serve 3 days after the symptoms are gone.
@casportponythis is one of a couple on this thread that seemed worth investigating.

This thread seems really cool, it would be awesome to keep it going!
I have read in several places that fennel is a laying stimulant, and an insect repellent. Maybe a good thing to try! If it doesn't work, it still makes a good treat. My hens seem to like the fronds. (I think that's what the leaves are called :) )
*I have not tried this because the one hen (out of five) that is laying just started and doesn't lay regularly enough for me to try.*

Back
Top Bottom