All new and computer illiterate

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gramps, Feb 10, 2012.

1. gramps

gramps New Egg

Feb 10, 2012
    Hi all,this is so exciting.I'm having quite a time figuring out all the computer jargin.Many years agomy wife and i raised small animals on our half acre lot with my father's farm just across the road. It was such an educational experience for our boys as they were growing up as well as being part of the chore duties.We started out with a few goats because our youngest couldn't tollerate cow's milk. Before long we were milking 6 does and lots of little ones to look after. Once the young were gone at Easter,what to do with all this milk? My wife made goat cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, icecream,you name it.
    To boot we raised pigs, calves,ducks and chickens all on goats milk grain and hay.Talk about tender meats.Boys grown up and gone the hobby farming ceased .Oh,oh little grand kids .Here we go again.We are now on the farm.This winter i built a chicken coop 10x10 inside the implement shed .Built it on runners so that this spring i can pull it outside.Meanwhile a friend has introduced me to cochins.He gave me one of his roosters(had too many for the herim)I'm getting my first hen tomorrow.Plan on getting the kids involved.
    gathering eggs,maybe some chicks in the spring etc.etc.Now that I'm retired i'm sure we'll enjoy this with the little ones. Anyone with thoughtsor ideas I'd love to hear from you ,as long as i can figure out this machine
    Gramps

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from Minnesota. I hope you find raising chickens a rewarding hobby. You have a nice big coop to start out with. Enjoy!

4. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Connecticut. Where are you located?
    I am so glad to read your post! My mom (73) still has this "thing" against learning to use a computer after her retirement (even though she knows she could communicate with the kids and grandkids who don't live nearby). While she enjoys the eggs from my chickens, she doesn't come over and visit her grandchickies too often (just not an outdoor person at all).
    I never fully looked into giving my son goat's milk, when was diagnosed allergic to (cows') milk. Now he's nearly an adult, still allergic. Hmmm, I wonder what his allergist would say. Not that I could raise goats--chickens are plenty for my rented, city yard.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! So glad you joined us! As said above, you found BYC and signed up, you're doing well! Enjoy this forum. You'll learn a lot here! [​IMG]

6. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC!!!

7. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    [​IMG]from Kentucky!

8. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello from Southwest Ohio.....Where are you from ?

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by