All of My Ducklings Died in 5 Minutes, No Clue Why

I am so sorry for your loss, I can’t imagine how horrible that must have been!
Also. You mentioned. Spinach.
My understanding is that Spinach should not be fed to waterfowl, as it impedes calcium absorption.
I don’t think that would have anything to do with the horrible symptoms that you experienced, but- I do suggest doing a bit more homework on “safe greens” for ducks.
And, please let me know if you find a different consensus on the spinach!
We feed ours treats of red cabbage and collared greens, chopped finely and floated in several rectangular containers of water - when they aren’t out to free range and graze on dandelions and grass.
I hope that you can get an autopsy done on at least one.
Please don’t forget that
- if necessary, you can freeze a carcass for a future autopsy if it isn’t already too late
- you can contact your state extensions office for recommendations, esp considering the rapidity of the onset of symptoms. They might have a vet who would do it (and the extension office
-might- pay for it, especially if they think it may be something contagious)
- we have a veterinary college near(ish) by. They tend to offer lower cost necropsies, where the students do the work in a lab w a licensed vet over their shoulder. It’s another avenue to investigate, again, unless the deceased have been disposed of already.

So very sorry for your experience. I truly hope it doesn’t deter you from trying again 💕

Back
Top Bottom