All pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DuckieTam, Oct 22, 2013.

1. DuckieTam

DuckieTam Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    Battle Mountain, NV
    Hi all!

I thought I would know by now if I had a cockerel in my bunch of chicks that I hatched out. They have a hatch date of Aug 20th so they are 9 weeks old today. When they were first hatched I did the wing feather sexing and thought they were all pullets, but I thought that was odd for all 4 (of 6) of the eggs that hatched to be pullets. I have thought off and on that one or another at some point was a cockerel, but at 9 weeks I am sure I would know. I think my cockerel was 7 or 8 weeks old when I was sure he was a he (thought he was a pullet).

So what are your thoughts? Sorry I couldn't get many good shots of them, they are very skittish of me. Probably due to being hatched by a broody hen.

Ohh and I know I will have someone ask what they are... well I am sure the daddy is my barred rock/americana (EE) roo and the moms are Americana (EE). But my younger roo could also be the daddy, but he is a white & red americana.
    [​IMG]
    One of my buffs up front, and the broody hen in the back.

[​IMG]
    This one developed the red coloring just last week.

[​IMG]
    This one has always had a bigger more developed comb than the others.

[​IMG]
    All four.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    1st pic: The one in the middle, with his back to you, is male. So is the black one to his right.

2nd pic: male. You can see the distinctly male type feathers emerging on his wings and neck.

3rd pic: I think I see some male neck hackling and male type lower wing feathering but not 100% sure. Bit blurry.

4th pic: Bit blurry, again, but the top two are definite males and the bottom two I'm not 100% sure about but am leaning towards male. The bottom-most one has very curled and shiny tail feathers and seems to have very shiny male type neck feathers but I'm not sure it's not just white speckling there.

If you inspect the two definite males, and their wing feathers, (the fancy ones) and then inspect the other two, and see the same feathers, then they're male. The type of neck feathering on the males, if present on the two I'm not sure about, also indicates males, of course.

Best wishes. Fairly sure they're all male but I may be wrong.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Did you know that there's a dedicated forum for questions like this? https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

As far as your chicks, feather sexing only works for chicks that were specifically bred to be feather sexed, so that's why they all looked the same.

These aren't the best photos to use to sex birds. Here are some guidelines as far as what would be helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/207665/picture-guidelines-for-this-section

I will say that the dark bird with the red shoulder patches is a cockerel, and the red EE-looking one with the black around the neck looks like a cockerel as well. Your barred one is most likely a cockerel, as that's a lot of comb for only 9 weeks old. I'd need better photos of the all-dark one to have a better guess on that one.

Sorry.

--you may want to have this thread moved to the correct forum; lots of people there willing to help on questions like this.

4. DuckieTam

Sep 22, 2012
    Battle Mountain, NV
    Sorry I don't come on here that often and I knew that there was a forum just for asking that, but for some reason I could not find it. How would I move the post? or should I just make a new one over there.

The brown one why do you say it is a cockerel? I have several hens with similar coloring as it. I was thinking the black one with red feathering was a cockerel myself, but was so unsure. The solid black one is the most skittish and I can never get any good shots of it. The one with the barring coloring I have always suspected it was a cockerel, but with the little black & red one showing the colors it has recently I have doubted that thought. I know it does not have a pea comb like all my EE's have it's comb is about the size my leghorns or buff's were at that age. Without someone to help hold them I can't get better shots... early morning sun was causing glare.

I would really hate to have all cockerels, I would have to get rid of them (hubby wont butcher another chicken again) since I have 2 roos already.

5. WalkingOnSunshine

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I think the brown one (red EE looking one, right?) is a cockerel because of how patchy the coloring is on the wings and over the back. It's not a smooth, even color like it would be with a pullet, and there look to be darker red patches on the shoulders which are a dead give-away for cockerel. Those red patches are why I said that the dark one with the red patches on the wings is a cockerel. I would feel better if I could see the comb on the red one, though.

To move a thread, you have to notify a mod to do it for you. Here's a quote from another thread on the subject: "Great question! Only Staff members can move threads. Report the thread by clicking on the red flag at the bottom of your first post, and tell us where you'd like the thread to go in the comments box that comes up. Then, one of us will move the thread for you. :)"

Seems easier (and politer) to ask to have the thread moved rather than cross-posting the same pics.

6. DuckieTam

Sep 22, 2012
    Battle Mountain, NV
    Sorry that you feel I cross posted the same pictures. If you look at them only one is truly the same picture, and this is why I rarely post stuff or come to forums. People getting snippity over stuff.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's not snippy, just trying to help you get the most answers from folks without you having to repost all your pics, much easier to have a moderator move it.

So--4 birds total in question? Going by that last pic--the barred bird is a rooster, the flashy red one is a rooster, the dark one with the red patches is a rooster. The only one I can't say for sure is the other dark bird, we'd need better pics of it to be sure, I can't see it's head well in any of the pics.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

9. WalkingOnSunshine

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I wasn't trying to be snippy in the slightest! I said that you should have a mod move it instead of cross posting. I was trying to save you time and effort! I did not say that you already had cross-posted, I was trying to give you an alternative to doing so.

I think you're seeing what you want to see. Most people are really nice here--including me, I hope! Deep breaths, maybe?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  10. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    X2 I think 3 seem to be roosters the black/red the red EE and the Barred also seems very rooish. Better pics of the black one will help. More pics of them all individually will help(and how doesn't like seeing tons of EE pics). Id like to see the red ones comb and a full side body shot of the barred.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by