All signs point to worms

HeyItsDebV

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 28, 2011
Edmond, OK
I have goggled and read BYC alllll weekend...All signs point to a sick hen having worms... My 2 yr old RIR has had poppy butt for a week...it has looked like she has a egg stuck in her vent as that area is poked out and red... I have bathed that area and she seems to like being bathed...Her poop STINKS! She just sits with her tail pointed down. Tractor Supply suggested the antibiotic DURAMYCIN-10 in her water as I had given the chicks when I got them... I have tried that for days and she is no better.
She is eating yogurt and bread and sleeping in a cage isolated from her flock...Her eyes are closed.
hu.gif

But I have noticed 2 more hens are getting POOPY BUTT now.
bow.gif

I have read the forum and all the info seems to date back YEARS!
th.gif

I have FB written to our feed store and they carry Wazzine chicken wormer... Will that help at all?

I have 10 Rhode Island Reds and we have had Spring like days off and on...I have never treated for worms...

Egg production is down in the past 2 weeks where I normally have had Super Jumbo 4 oz eggs...my hens free-range on our acreage every day from noon to dusk...

I need help fast! My vet says she does not treat chickens!
hit.gif

Well it could be worms but it could be other things too. WIth your description of her back end it almost sounds like she could have a prolapse or maybe she's eggbound? Or perhaps she is having egg laying related issues that in turn have caused peritonitis. Have you checked them over carefully for lice and mites?

If they are two years old and never been wormed then it's definitely time. Wazine will only treat round worms. Valbazen or Safeguard will do a much better job. Valbazen is a liquid and you can get liquid Safeguard for goats, easy to administer to chickens. Dose is 1/2 cc for standard size birds, repeat in 10 days. You will need to discard eggs until 10 days after the last treatment.

I've got the same issue with my RIR currently. I had her separated from the flock, she seemed better, so I thought she might have just been a little under the weather. I put her back with the flock yesterday, just checked her, and it looks like she has a huge ulcerated hemorrhoid or something sticking out of her vent (apologies for the graphic description). Sounds like I should keep her separated from the flock for the time being and treat for worms? The others don't seem to be affected currently, but I'd figure if one has it, most likely they all do.

CPrendie, You are describing what I have seen too in my very sick bird...After reading the internet all weekend, I think it is tape worms...I have just come home from the feed store with WAZINE 17, to mix in the waterer (I have only 10 hens) I am waiting for someone to tell what the ratio of mix to water is?
And, I bought the horse paste SAFE-GUARD and IVERMECTIN, If I have read OLD posts correctly, I put a BB sized amount in it's beak...?
What are you going to try?

Back
Top Bottom